Wilmington: Getaway tips from a local

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

We all love Chapel Hill — duh. But sometimes quad-sitting just doesn’t cut it. If you’re like me, you spend a socially unacceptable amount of time day dreaming about laying out in a bathing suit, sand and salt water when spring rolls around.

Luckily there is a magical place called Wilmington, North Carolina which lies 2.5 hours away. You may know it as the 10th Drunkest City in America. I know it as my hometown. It is the home of wonderful beaches, foodgasm-inducing restaurants, excellent shopping and bars. Not to mention all of those excellent-looking men in tank tops and board shorts with a surfboard tucked under their well-sculpted and tanned arms.

Here’s a quick guide to my favorite spots for a relaxing weekend. The best part: you can be back to campus on Sunday in time to cram in all your homework you didn’t do while you’re there. Just don’t tell anyone where you heard the local secrets!

Beaches

Wrightsville Beach

Carolina Beach

Wrightsville Beach has the reputation of being a more wealthy crowd. I would personally call it more mellow; other people would say there are more old people. Carolina Beach is home to many confederate flags and Budweiser.  The rivalry between beaches is best described as the rivalry between us and that school called Dook. Whatever floats your boat (see what I did there?)

Shopping

Hallelu is tucked cutely away in the main strip of Wrightsville Beach. Their clothes and jewelry are drool-worthy. Hallelu does a great job of keeping prices reasonable,but make sure you’re willing to pay more than what you would pay at a store like Forever 21.

Food

Indochine

When I come to Wilmington, this Thai restaurant one of the places I allocate money for every time. The atmosphere is as unbelievable as the food. You can get a private pagoda hut in the back garden if the weather permits. I suggest you do; you’ll feel like a princess. Calamari, jungle curry and coconut cake is my personal favorite meal. The portions are huge, so you’ll be able to share with friends.

Nightlife

Liquid Room

This is a good option for a night out in Wilmington. It’s right by the river, a beautiful place to meander off to with your newly found eye candy when you leave. Another benefit is that it’s 18+, so even if you’re still underage, you can still hang out here! The owners are big Carolina fans, too. There’s room for drinking, talking and getting your dance on if you so please. They have excellent drink specials every night so capitalize on those.

If Spring Break wasn’t enough to satisfy your beach longing, get in your car and drive down I-40 til the map turns blue. You’ll run right into Wilmington for a relaxing weekend away. La Rez and Pantana Bob’s will still be here when you get back, I promise.

Wrightsville Beach (photo): http://www.menupix.com/wilmington
Carolina Beach (photo): www.igougo.com
Hallelu (photo): www.shophallu.com
Indochine (photo): www.flickr.com
Liquid Room (photo): www.facebook.com/liquidroom

Sophomore, PR major at UNC