When to Hang Up a Hookup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.
Sometimes it’s hard to know when to end a relationship. Ending a friends-with-benefits situation can be difficult, too. Here are four indicators it might be time to call it quits.
1. The boundaries blur: If you begin to think either of you may want something more, it might be time to have “the talk.” In this situation, it’s important to let him/her know how you feel. It may be hard, but honesty is essential for the relationship to progress. If the two of you want different things, everything becomes more complicated. It’s not fair for either party to sustain a relationship of inequality.

Some simple ways to prevent this problem:

• Don’t text about your day: One important statement that is easy to say but harder to remember, “he is not my boyfriend.” You two may be intimate physically, but talking to the person about your day fosters a false sense of emotional intimacy. If you are not looking to hook up, then hang up the phone. Save the rant about your evil Chemistry professor for one of your friends.
  • Don’t spend the night: Some post-coital cuddling is fine, but sleeping over leads to borrowing his shorts, bringing a toothbrush and leaving a toothbrush. It’s a slippery slope, but it’s one which can be avoided.
  • Keep the cuteness to a minimum: There is no need to talk about hypothetical baby names or life dreams with someone you know casually. Save the sweet stuff for someone with whom you want to share your future.

2. 2 a.m. texts leave you downtrodden rather than dizzy with anticipation: There is a difference between a nervous flutter in your stomach and a pit of dread. Trust your body. Even if the person in question matches everything you thought you wanted, something is obviously wrong. Hookups are supposed to be guilt-free fun. If you feel guilty, depressed or upset after an encounter of the casual kind, then chalk the event up to experience and move on to something more your speed. Just because you have friends who can flit from guy to guy unscathed doesn’t mean that friends with benefits is the right thing for you.

3. It’s not convenient: Everyone knows that relationships take work. Friends with benefits, on the other hand, promises no-strings-attached sex.  When it becomes complicated, it’s time to cut ties.

4. If he doesn’t make you scream: If he doesn’t curl your toes, then what’s the point? It’s one thing to work through issues in the bedroom if you enjoy his company. However, if the relationship begins and ends in the bedroom, the sex needs to be good.  If you are looking for companionship, then get a dog.

The advantages of friends with benefits include convenience and non-committal fun. Above all else, be honest with the person you are hooking up with and with yourself. Furthermore, when play becomes work, end it. The best thing about no-strings-attached relations is you don’t have to provide a reason for hanging up your hookup. Just leave his next 2 a.m. booty call unanswered. He will get the hint.

Sources:
Holding hands (photo): Visualphotos.com, Couple holding hands
Girl with cell phone (photo): Girl with cellphone
Unhappy woman on bed (photo): Google images, Unhappy woman on bed
Happy lady (photo): Kevinhogan.com, Happy lady

Sophomore, PR major at UNC