What to Watch on Netflix: A Collegiette’s Guide to Procrastinating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

So now that we’re a few weeks into school, the time has come to give up pretending we’re going to do all that course reading and start surfing the Internet until 3 a.m.

(Disclaimer: You probably should do that reading, I just put that sentence in for comedic effect. … Did it work?)

You know you want to start a new series so that the procrastination never ends; however, sometimes it’s tedious to sift through all those Netflix pages to find what you’re looking for. So here it goes, a list of the best distractions available online:

If you’re looking for a good old fashion teen drama, try Dawson’s Creek
         A young Katie Holmes? A relevant Joshua Jackson? Sign me up! But really, this show is a teen classic, right down to climbing in through each others’ windows. Dawson’s Creek follows four best friends as they date in various combinations and undoubtedly mess everything up (and the fix it! Probably.). Sidenote, what ever happened to James Van Der Beek?
Other suggestions: One Tree Hill. What? Nathan is hot.

If you like football or comedy, or football comedies, try The League
         Ok, this show is flat out hilarious. I watched one episode and got hooked, and I don’t even like sports all that much. #unpopularopinions

The League is about to start its fifth season about a handful of friends who spend an exorbitant amount of energy and time on their fantasy football league. A semi-improvised comedy, this show will have you laughing out loud (so maybe don’t watch it while your roommate is asleep.)
Other suggestions: Friday Night Lights (if you’re looking for a bit more drama)

If you like period pieces, try Downton Abbey

Downton Abbey is a BBC Masterpiece Classic, currently on its third season, that follows the lives of the wealthy Crawley family and the servants who help run their home. When the heir to the Grantham estates dies tragically on the Titanic, the Crawley’s find themselves scrambling for a suitable replacement. Mystery, romance, beautiful costumes: Downton Abbey has it all. Including Maggie Smith.
Other suggestions: None, go watch Downton.

If you didn’t see enough shirtless guys in Twilight, try Teen Wolf

Did anyone watch the TV show Doc when they were little? The one with Billy Ray Cyrus? Well if you did, the young Raul has grown up and he is HOT. Tyler Posey stars in the MTV series Teen Wolf as, you guessed it, a werewolf. Treat yourself to the ridiculous, and sometimes anxiety- inducing, situations that these young wolves find themselves in. I’m not going to say that this show isn’t ridiculous and hokey, but neither will I say that it’s easy to stop watching. Plus, the dorky best friend is kind of cute.
Other suggestions: Go watch anything with Channing Tatum in it.

If you’re a Science Fiction or Joss Whedon fan, try Firefly
This Joss Whedon masterpiece series only lasted one season but soon developed a cult following which later spawned a movie sequel. Follow the crew of the spaceship Serenity as they travel the universe trying to make a living doing the odd jobs that only space cowboys can handle. Yes, it’s about actual SPACE COWBOYS! (Cue the N’Sync song). If that’s not enough, I have two more words for you: Nathan Fillion
Other suggestions: Doctor Who, start with David Tennant’s seasons

And there you have it! Anything you might need or want to watch in an attempt to waste your time. Enjoy, kids!
P.S. All of these shows are also available on Amazon Instant Video. You’re welcome.

Citations:
Downton Abbey (photo): downtonabbeypics.blogspot.com. 7 Sept. 2012. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-o5sNkdYLIGo/Tf9VbzL5nYI/AAAAAAAAAbI/XI4VMzUQJZ…

Netflix (photo): blogs.forrester.com. 7 Sept 2012. http://blogs.forrester.com/f/b/users/NFENWICK/netflix-logo1.jpg

Teen Wolf (photo): blog.zap2it.com. 7 Sept 2012. http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/assets_c/2012/05/teen-wolf-dylan…

The League (photo): fanpop.com. 7 Sept 2012. http://images.tvrage.com/shows/25/24173.jpg 

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!