What to Look at Besides Buzzfeed: A Summer Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I know that as finals are approaching (ick) the last thing anyone wants to think about is more reading. Especially when Twitter and Buzzfeed really give us all the information we need, right? However, I’m sure that if I added up all the funny lists I read about re-imaginations of Disney princesses and which Instagram account I *NEED* to follow, I could have actually read, ya know, a real book. So here are my suggestions for what to read, once finals are done of course.

Author’s Note: This list is a smattering of my literary tastes and there is really little rhyme or reason to it. Lit nerds, assemble!

1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

People, I cannot hype this book enough. Not only is it a New York Times Bestseller, but also it is romantic and witty and heartwarming and sad. Furthermore, John Green reminds about the importance of rhetoric (sounding intelligent is cool!). You cannot help but fall in love with these characters and, if all that isn’t enough, the movie comes out June 6TH! Don’t be one of those people who pretend they can discuss a book just because they saw the movie. Nobody likes that person.

Read it if you liked: Before I Die by Jenny Downham

2. A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

Since the incredible return of Game of Thrones to HBO, social media has been blowing up with spoilers as each episode airs. If you, like me, don’t have time to watch on Sunday nights because you didn’t finish that project, again, then logging onto Twitter before watching GoT undoubtedly ruins the entire episode. Therefore, I suggest you get a head start on Book 4 to avoid any spoilers. Who knows, maybe you can tweet a few of your own! (JK DO NOT DO THAT, IT IS JUST PLAIN MEAN.

Read it if you liked: The Gunslinger by Stephen King, or, pop culture

3. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

This is another “read it before the movie” book. I made the mistake of reading this book at work once, and my constant gasps undoubtedly annoyed the entire office. This book chronicles the suspenseful unraveling of a marriage which sounds depressing but it was such a psychological thriller that I couldn’t put it down. Also, the flick stars Ben Affleck so you’re probably gonna want to see it when it comes out October 3rd (Mean Girls, anyone?).

Read it if you liked: The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

4. Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn

If you’re a fan of graphic novels and haven’t heard of this one, get your hands on a copy because it’s awesome. This series follows the last man on Earth in his struggles to stay alive and figure out why the epidemic that killed everyone else with a Y chromosome seems to have skipped him. There series ran from 2002-2008, and it is totally awesome.

Read it if you liked: The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman

5. Graceling by Kristin Cashore

In Graceling, Kristin Cashore graces us with another survivalist heroine. Only in this world, some people are “graced” with a special talent, be it for cooking, reading, fighting, etc. The Lady Katsa is a graced fighter who works as a guard/hit-man for her uncle, the King. It isn’t until Katsa meets Po that she considers there might be someone she cannot defeat in combat, and this realization leads the unlikely duo on a dangerous and unexpected adventure.

Read it if you liked: The Hunger Games or Divergent

6. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

In honor of the recent passing of this incredible, Nobel-prize winning author, I suggest you head to the library and pick up this literary classic. The novel, set in the fictional town of Macondo, explores universal themes of love, loss, age, passion, and more through the eyes of a family over many generations. The book has sold more than 20 million copies so it might be good.

Read it if you liked: Anything by Isabel Allende (or other Márquez novels)

Did I leave your favorite book off the list? Comment with the title below!

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.