Weekly Winter Workouts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

People comment that UNC is one of the most active campuses this country has to offer.  Want to be a part of the activity? Here are seven things you can do as the temperature outside plummets and makes it harder for you to put down the bag of chips and go for a run on our beautiful campus.

1) It’s Sunday and all you want to do is watch a movie with your roommates. What do you do? Drag them to Cycle Cinema Sundays! Located in the Fetzer Cycle Room, on the third Sunday of every month, Cycle Cinema Sundays allows you to bike at your own pace while watching a popular sports movie. Next up: Rudy at 5 p.m. on October 16th!

2) Now you have a bad case of the Mondays. You are already stressed AND you have the whole week ahead of you. You just want to hit something. What’s the answer? Go try your luck at the club Racquetball practice from 6-8 p.m. No experience is necessary and equipment can be checked out from the Fetzer Equipment Room.  Who knows, you might be the next national team member. Go Heels! Go America!

3) Tuesday class has let out and you have a free night. You are feeling a little adventurous so you decide to pop into Rams Head gym to check out their climbing wall (Fetzer has one, too).  You are in luck; Rams Head offers the belay certifications class at 6 p.m. and open climb from 8-10 p.m. Just like that, you have a new hobby!

4) Humpday (errr), now Wednesday has arrived.  The weekend is in sight, but still unreachable. This is the time when you should gather your roommates and haul them to the SRC or Rams Head gym. There is always lots of eye candy at the gym–enough that you’ll forget how far you’ve ran on the treadmill by the time they leave.

5) It’s Thursday. The week is winding down and may even be over if you’re one of the lucky ones who has a four-day week of class. Now it’s time to start relaxing with yoga at 7:30 p.m. in SRC Gym B. Stretch for that hour and fifteen minutes, and walk out feeling like a better you!

6) It’s Friday, Friday, gotta…Turbo Kick Rebecca Black on Friday. Turbo Kick is located in SRC Gym A at 5 p.m. Whether you had a bad week or a good week, this class is a good way to end it.

7) You slept in for the first time this week and are ready to begin your Saturday, but you really want to switch things up. Bowman Gray Indoor Pool awaits you. Go for a leisure lap swim anywhere between 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., working every muscle in your body without ever breaking a noticeable sweat!

There you have it, seven great ways to stay in shape as the weather gets cooler. Drag a friend with you for company or enjoy your alone time; either way, these exercises will prevent you from getting that built-in winter coat!

Sophomore, PR major at UNC