To Tweet or Not to Tweet?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As of June 2010, there were more than 190 million users on Twitter generating 65 million tweets a day. So what’s the all the buzz about? Is this just another form of Facebook or a procrastination tool? Not completely. There are ways to turn Twitter into something useful that can benefit your future. If you still aren’t on Twitter, why should you be? Or if you already have one, how can you get the most out of it? Here are seven of suggestions for how you can get the most out of Twitter and a couple of recommendations on who to follow. Happy Tweeting!

1. Get your daily news
If you’re following the right people, Twitter can be the best way to keep up with what’s going on at UNC, in the community, the county and the world. And the best part about news on Twitter¾it’s all fewer than 140 characters, so you can quickly and easily find out the “need to know” information.  Most news sites will also post a link to an article if you want to read more.

Try following: The Daily Tar Heel @dailytarheel, Raleigh News and Observer @newsobserver, Reese News @reesenews, The Huffington Post @huffingtonpost, or New York Times @nytimes

2. Learn more about your campus
The Student Body President elections had a definite presence on Twitter (drama included). And if you still haven’t caught on to Blue Steel at the men’s basketball games, you should consider turning to Twitter (plus, their tweets are hilarious). Administrative figures, athletes, professors and even the libraries (@UNCLibrary) are on the site and frequently tweeting. Try searching for some of your professors. Who knows, they might tweet answers to the midterm!  

Try following: Men’s Basketball Blue Steel @Real_BlueSteel, Chancellor Holden Thorp @chanthorp, Hogan Medlin @HoganMedlin, Mary Cooper @maryaacooper, or Ian Lee @IanWLee

3. Start looking for jobs or internships
Most businesses, publications and organizations are on Twitter now. Some will post information about internships or jobs, and it’s best to be the first to know about them. Try searching for businesses or organizations you would love to work for one day, and maybe they will post information about positions. If not, it’s good to know what they are positing so if you ever get the chance to interview there, you can be up to date.

Try following: UNC Career Services @uncucs, Ed2010 @Ed2010News, or the Intern Queen @InternQueen

4. It’s good for a laugh
Especially while you’re browsing the Internet during class or procrastinating on studying, Twitter is a great way to get a laugh. Some Twitter accounts are even devoted to making you laugh.

Try following: Grouchy Rabbit @grouchyrabbit, Dear Blank Please Blank @dearblankplease, DTH Kvetching Board @kvetchingboard, Texts From Last Night @TFLN, or Lord Voldemort @Lord_Voldemort7

5. Get the word out about your organization or learn more about ones you are interested in
When you follow someone on Twitter, all the information gets sent straight to your desktop, so there is no searching around the Internet (or campus, for that matter). Search for any organizations you are involved in or would like to be involved in, and see what they are tweeting about!

Try following: Since you’re here, hit up Her Campus @HerCampusUNC

6. You can find some of the best deals on Twitter
Local businesses are always trying to get students to head over, especially bars. The newest marketing technique? Twitter. Businesses and bars will often tweet discounts, deals and specials. Search for your favorite spots on Twitter and see what kind of deals they are tweeting!

Try following:  Chapel Hill Bar Specials @CHBarSpecials, Cat’s Cradle @CatsCradleNC, or Off the Quad @offthequadunc

7. Keep up with your friends
Between smart phones, blogs and Facebook, our generation is known for our love of being connected. Twitter is one of the newest ways to connect with people. Plus, it’s great to see an old friend tweeting, “Heading to Alpine Bagel. Anyone want to join?” when you’re craving a Good Morning Camper.

Try following: Anyone you know who is on Twitter!

Photo credit: twitter.com

Sophomore, PR major at UNC