This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Looking for a book to snuggle up with this fall? We’ve got you covered. These timeless classics should hit the top of everyone’s reading list.

All the King’s Men

This southern novel is a definitive classic for American politics. Though at times it can be confusing or irresolute, this story of political corruption is a must-read. All the King’s Men certainly isn’t a one-and-done kind of book — it deserves to be read and re-read. Robert Penn Warren’s nuanced southern diction and prolonged sentences really put the reader into the mindset of the south and, more importantly, its political climate. All the King’s Men is a timely piece that I’d recommend again and again and again.

Frankenstein

Yes, yes, I realize that the Halloween reference doesn’t actually coincide with the fact that Frankenstein is the doctor, not the creature. But nonetheless, I recommend Frankenstein — especially around autumn. On the off chance that you didn’t read this in high school, Frankenstein deserves to be read by anyone and everyone. And, if you did read it in high school, I urge you to read it again. Regardless of whether or not you liked the story, this novel gets better and better each time I pick it up. Though I do love the story (and God-complex) of Victor Frankenstein, Mary Shelley’s use of epistolary narration really is what puts this book at the top of my list. The complex narration structure of this book makes even the most inhumane characters, both literally and figuratively, seem relatable. Truly one of the most timeless pieces I’ve ever read.

Utopia

Thomas More’s Utopia, though more of a long essay than a book, is so intricate that I find something new every time I read it. During my freshman year, I took ENGL 121: British Literature from the Medieval Period to the 18th Century. Sounds enticing, right? As one of the first essays that we read, you can probably guess that the language is quite old and quite difficult. However, interwoven in this onerous read is beauty, perfection and an idealistic view of the world. This essay forces you to question life as we know it and provides an insight into what More’s definition of a Utopia is. Though a bit strenuous to comb through, Utopia is a cherishable story that’s still worth a read today.

Catcher In The Rye

Though not one of my personal favorites, it felt wrong not to include this title. I read this when I was a freshman in high school, which is surprising considering the amount of profanity this book contains. However, this coming-of-age story easily should be on every classics shelf in every library. Its critique on society, popularity and teenage angst make it a popular choice among high school and college students. Salinger’s jarring use of profanity works in the novel’s favor to realistically tell Holden’s story. 

Little Women

No, seeing the movie with Timothee Chalamet and Saiorse Ronan does not count as reading the book (though it also tops the list of my favorite movies). This beatuifully crafted story puts you right in the middle of the March family, so much so that you feel as if you’re sitting around their dinner table every time you start a new chapter. Louisa May Alcott’s novel is the perfect blend of love and heartbreak, joy and sorrow, independence and helplessness, and it is inspiring to anyone who reads it. The characters are so perfectly crafted that, at times, you can feel so connected to one character and then, on a turn of the dime, completely overtaken by the empathy you have for another. Definitely perfect for fall, especially if you’re looking for an atypical portrayal of love, family and determination.

The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett is not what it seems. Though the sub-head may read “A Children’s Classic,” this book is for all ages. I read it when I was in second grade and again this past week, falling in love with it the second time as much as when I was seven. This novel shows the transformation of a bratty, spoiled ten-year-old, Mary Lennox, into a kind-hearted, thankful and loving girl. The Secret Garden is an inspiring read about self-care and self-help that should not be confined to children’s literature. 

Pride and Prejudice

As an ex-English major myself, my Pride and Prejudice loving housemate was astonished that I had never read Jane Austen’s most notorious novel. So, in an effort to please her, I sat down and read it. The complex plot is coupled with comic relief to build an astonishingly charming read. Though I loved some characters from the beginning, others took a while to grow on me but were ultimately worth sticking through to the end. Needless to say, if you don’t take it from me, take it from my housemate, and pick up this book! It’s a quick read that will leave you wanting to read it over and over again.

All in all, you can’t go wrong with choosing any book from a Google search of “best classic books of all time,” but these continue to top the list of my favorite classics. So, get a cup of coffee or tea, a highlighter and pen for annotations and a warm sweater, and start reading!

Grace Garner

Chapel Hill '23

English and Journalism double-major at UNC Chapel Hill just waiting to live out her dark academia aesthetic. https://www.linkedin.com/in/grace-garner-4244011a6/