Top 5 Essentials Needed to Make your College Apartment Fabulous

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Living in the college dormitory is an essential experience for any student. Everyone remembers the summer before freshman year, where all you dreamed about was creating the perfect dorm room, complete with matching curtains, sheets, pillows, towels, blankets and storage containers.  Dorm life at UNC is extremely fun, but at the end of my first year, I was longing for my first apartment. This past summer, I obsessed over every little detail of my new space. Who knew there was so much to buy? I must admit that my new apartment is nothing short of amazing… if I do say so myself. I found five essential items that are vital to happiness and bliss in any girl’s apartment. So without further adieu, I present to you: Every Collegiette’s Fabulous Five Essentials!

1. Pictures of Friends and Family: I won’t bore you by talking about how much I absolutely adore my friends and family…I’m sure you feel the same way about yours as well! I’ll just strongly suggest that you post pictures of your friends and family throughout your room or apartment. Why? Well, college can be a pretty stressful place..and sometimes you can’t be physically surrounded by those who love you the most.  So purchase (or make your own) cute picture frames and place them throughout your space. That way, you’ll get to see those beautiful faces every day

2. Shoe/Closet/Jewelry Organizer: I know that this is actually three items, but they all fit under one category: ORGANIZATION TOOLS! Since you are living in an apartment, you probably have a bit more space than you did in the dorm. More space means more opportunities for a mess. No worries! With these three items, everything will have a place to go and you’ll always know where your stuff is! It’s simple, fold up your sweaters and basic tee – shirts in your closet organizer.   Keep your heels and flats displayed on a shoe organizer (color coordinating them helps as well!) And lastly, separate your necklaces, bracelet, earrings and watches in a jewelry box or jewelry organizer. I promise getting ready for class in the morning will be so much easier with these items!

3.Matching Pots/Pan Set: This one is pretty self explanatory.. If you have an apartment, there is 95.5% chance that you have a kitchen as well. So why not invest in a matching pot and pan set to compliment your extraordinary culinary skills? There are so many options available, from classic aluminum to solid colors. What’s most important to remember is that you purchase quality pieces that will last through your senior year.. happy cooking!

4. Old blanket from home: I know what you’re thinking..what is the significance of an old blanket? Believe it or not, blankets are useful for more than keeping you warm.  Research shows that the olfactory bulb transmits information from your noise to your limbic system (in your brain). The limbic system is closely associated with your memory… So what does this mean? Just by smelling your blanket, you will be mentally reminded of your favorite memories from home. Perhaps that will make you you feel a little more positive about your 10 page history paper…it’s worth a try, right?

5. Wall Decals: I am in love with wall decals for three reasons! Reason number one is that they are so versatile! Decals look good in ANY room of the apartment, depending on which style you get. You can purchase decals that are quotations, graphics, or a cute combination of both. Reason number two is that they are so affordable! Large decals generally cost under $30, and the medium/smaller size ones are even less expensive than that. Lastly, they are extremely easy to apply! You literally just stick them to the wall like a giant sticker, no command strips or nails needed! What is there not to love?

Sources:

“Chandelier Nouveu” Wall Decal, $24.99; TARGET.com

“Rachael Ray Porcelain Enamel II 10-pc. Cookware Set: Green Gradient”  Cookware Set, $139.95; RACHELRAYSTORE.com

Linear Wood 10 Peice Frame” Picture Frame Set, $26.99; TARGET.com

Journalism and Mass Communications (Public Relations) and History Minor
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.