Spring Makeup Must-haves for Women of Color

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Spring has sprung, launching the usual parade of bright colors and flirty patterns. Fashion and beauty publications are spilling over with the latest makeup trends and tips. One aspect of beauty articles that seems to be perpetually lacking, though, is a list of options for widely varying skin tones, especially deeper ones.  

Many publications only include three skin tone groups: fair, medium and deep. While it is completely understandable that providing options for each of the widely varying skin tones would be almost impossible, they could certainly be expanded to reflect more realistic standards.

When I first became interested in makeup, I had difficulty duplicating the looks I had seen in my favorite magazines. Though much of my frustration extended from my novice status, it did not help that there seemed to be a gaping hole in the color-matching systems of many cosmetic brands. I noticed that in the beauty world, women of color were described as having a deep skin tones.

My initial thoughts were: What if you’re darker or lighter than that? Clearly people come in more than three shades and they are all beautiful! Over time I have learned to work with some of the products that are out there and receive amazing results.

1. EOS Lip Balm
Okay, I know this one isn’t really limited to women of color, but these are some of the best lip products on the market! These small, inexpensive, egg-shaped balms are extremely moisturizing and are available in several lovely scents. We recommend “sweet mint” and summer fruit” for the spring.

2. MAC’s Powder Blush in Format
This deep, rusty brown blush provides the perfect glow for spring. If MAC’s a bit out of your price range, try Milani’s Baked Blush in Berry Amore, available at drugstores.

3. Revlon’s Super Lustrous Lipstick in Blushing Nude
This is a great color for every skin tone, and is super affordable!

4. Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer
This moisturizer provides sheer coverage as well as SPF 15 protection. It’s available in four shades: luminous, fair, light, medium and dark. This moisturizer blends well, and each shade matches many different skin tones.

5. NYX Eyeshadow Base
Skin tone can affect the way an eyeshadow looks, and eyeshadow bases allow a product’s true color to show on the skin in addition to creating a smooth surface and preventing eyeshadow creases. Choosing an eyeshadow base that is slightly lighter than your skin color will produce more vibrant results.

Sources:
Eos lip balm (photo): evolutionofsmooth.com
Revlon super lustrous lipstick (photo): www.drugstore.com/revlon
NYX eyeshadow base (photo): www.nyxcosmtics.com