Soccer: Not only a Sport, but also a Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Summer 2010 was an incredible experience for all soccer fans, especially those who actually went to South Africa to enjoy the World Cup. Many people thought that Africa was a newcomer to the extensive social, economic and cultural network of soccer; many did not consider the popularity of soccer in urban Africa.

Urban Africa is characterized by a passionate soccer culture, where interaction among children is frequent. This urban culture surrounding soccer has grown over the last couple of years due to the popularity of African soccer players in Europe like Samuel Eto’o from Cameroon, and Didier Drogba from Côte d’Ivoire.

It can be said that famous soccer players are seen by African children as heroes. Eto’o, for example, who last season played for Inter de Milan, is now the figure of the Russian team Anzhi Makhachkala. According to the Guardian, Anzhi Makhachkala paid Inter de Milan £21.8m to get Eto’o, and it is estimated that he will earn £17.9m a year after tax, making him the world’s highest-paid player.

Russia is a good example of a country where the culture of soccer is emerging. Investments made by multimillionaires, including the person who owns the Anzhi Makhachkala team, are using money a means to popularize soccer. Russia was selected by the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) to host the World Cup in 2018.

Soccer has recently gained great popularity in the United States due to the millionaire contracts offered to famous European players like David Beckham and Thierry Henry. Before Beckham joined the Los Angeles Galaxy, the team was unknown to many people in South America and Europe.

Yet the cultural aspects of soccer are not limited to America and Europe. Countries in the Middle East have been investing considerable amounts of money in the expansion of soccer leagues. For example, Qatar is now preparing its infrastructure to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

The Al-Wasl Football Club, a United Arab Emirates Football League club based in Dubai, hired Diego Maradona as the head coach. Maradona is one of the best, if not the best, players of all time.

Organizations like the Qatar Foundation, which decided to sponsor Spanish soccer team, FC Barcelona, to save it from potential bankruptcy, are contributing now more than ever to the hectic marketability of soccer in all parts of the world.

In South America, the cultural aspects of soccer are relevant to many parts of society. In countries like Colombia, Argentina and Brazil, weekend activities may be confined to soccer-related events like watching or actually attending a game. When a World Cup takes place, people make bets between friends about the results of the games. The whole passion of soccer is very likely to be highlighted by the next FIFA World Cup, which is going to take place in Brazil in 2014.

This worldwide culture also transcends to the political sphere. For example, the match between France and Senegal during the FIFA World Cup in 2002 captured a lot of attention due to the historical tensions arising from the colonial era.

At the end of the day, one thing is clear: soccer has proven to be a cultural force strong enough to overcome racial, religious, and economic differences around the world to bring people together.

What do you think? Let us know in the comments section below!

Sources:
African kids (photo): Development.thinkaboutit.eu, http://development.thinkaboutit.eu/think3/post/south_africas_children_back_to_death_now_the_party_is_over/
David Beckham (photo): Majorleaguesoccertalk.com,
http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/ciao-david-beckham-1860
Samuel Eto’o (photo): Sports Illustrated,
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/writers/ben_lyttleton/06/11/cameroon/index.html
Diego Maradona (photo): Goal.com,
http://www.goal.com/en/news/14/asia/2011/06/05/2518394/al-wasl-decline-to-disclose-diego-maradonas-contractual

Sophomore, PR major at UNC