Six Easy Ways to Transition your Wardrobe from Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As the seasons begin to change its important to start thinking about how to dress for colder weather. This can be difficult when funds are low and going on a shopping spree is out of the question. Fortunately, there are a couple of easy ways to make your summer wardrobe work for fall without having to buy a new wardrobe.

Layers

Layered looks are an easy way to keep warm while staying on trend. Throwing on a tank top and a baggy sweater with leggings is one way to achieve the layered look. But be careful not to layer too much; the look isn’t homeless chic.

Scarves

Scarves are great in any season. Whether they give your outfit a pop of color or are just there to combat the cold, scarves are always a great way to go! Also, don’t be afraid to wear your scarves in unconventional ways, try a turban or tie it in a knot.

Tights

Tights can easily transform a summer clothing item into a winter one. Some wear their tights with dresses or skirts and others throw a pair of shorts over them. You can also try colored or patterned tights.

Jackets

Jackets are great, especially for fall when it gets really cold. Wearing a cute tank top or t-shirt with a blazer or cardigan are both great ways to mix summer and fall clothing.

Dark Nail Polish & Lip Colors

This option isn’t necessarily wardrobe related, but adding darker tones to your nails and or lips are probably the easiest ways to get fall ready on a budget.

Beanies

Beanies/hats are super cute options for fall and are perfect for bad hair days. They come in a variety of styles and colors to work with whatever you’re wearing.

Paige Hopkins

Chapel Hill

Paige Hopkins is a sophomore at UNC Chapel Hill from Charlotte, North Carolina. Paige is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor as well as the treasurer for the UNC chapter. She is a journalism major with a focus on reporting. She is interested in print journalism as well as broadcast. Paige loves all things fashion and beauty; she spends her free time reading magazines, writing for the arts desk for her school paper and online shopping. She also plays volleyball and enjoys watching sports, especially when the Heels are playing.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.