Shop Local This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Maybe you’re an awesome planner and you’ve already checked all of your friends and family off of your holiday shopping list. But odds are that you still have some shopping to do. And while you’re thinking of what to get for your great aunt Ethel, it’s important to remember that where you shop is just as–if not more–important than what you buy.

College students, as much as anyone else, understand that the economy is not doing well; just ask your friend that graduated in May and still can’t find a job. It may seem like you’re powerless to change the economy, but that’s not the truth. Consumers hold all the power to make decisions about where their money goes and what they support. The National Retail Federation forecasted that Americans will spend $456 billion during November and December this year. That is 456 billion chances to make decisions about what you want to support.

While online shopping is convenient, it does nothing for the local economy. One of the reasons that online retailers can provide such low prices is that they are not required to pay a sales tax to states in which they do not have a physical presence. This has led to controversy and proposals for laws that would require online retailers to pay state sales taxes. Sales taxes support things like roads, schools and government services, which have been hit hard by budget cuts during the economic recession.

But more directly, shopping locally supports local businesses who create jobs, and contribute to the economy and the community. Luckily, Chapel Hill and Carrboro have a wide variety of locally-owned businesses, so you can find something for everyone on your list. In addition to the Franklin Street shops mentioned in this past article, here are a few more places to check out:

Cameron’s
University Mall
Cameron’s has been a local favorite for over 30 years. It has everything from jewelry (designed by mostly North Carolina artists) to that perfect, quirky present.

A Southern Season
University Mall
A Southern Season is a sensory experience. It’s crammed full of the finest gourmet food you can buy. It can be a little expensive, but most of the time the price reflects the quality. And if you look around, you can find some delicious gifts at reasonable prices.

Flyleaf Books
725 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Why go all the way to Durham to go to Barnes and Noble when there’s a great, locally-owned bookstore right down MLK?

CD Alley
405C W. Franklin St.
Picking out a CD for someone is much more meaningful than handing them an iTunes gift card. If you’re at a loss for what to look for, just ask the staff to help you out.

Twig
99 S. Elliot Rd. (Village Plaza)
If you’re looking for something eco-friendly, Twig has everything from kitchenware to high quality and environmentally responsible toys.

Happy Holiday Shopping, Collegiettes!

Sources:
www.Camerons-gallery.com
www.southernseason.com
www.flyleafbooks.com
www.cdalley.net
www.twigliving.com

Sophomore, PR major at UNC