From Sexy to Trashy: How to Choose an Appropriate Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

“Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” Sorry Cady Heron, but is this really true?

Halloween costumes are all about the “wow” factor and about being someone or something that you’re not. But when does a costume go from being sexy to being skanky? When does “Damn, she looks great,” turn into “Damn, what is she thinking?!” Also, girls will talk about each other’s outfits; and they are definitely going to talk about that girl that shows up in a lingerie set saying she is a mouse.

You want to look hot; you want impress your crush; blah blah blah; but let’s be real—do you think he’s really going to want to get with you because you’re parading around in your bra? No. And if he does, he probably isn’t as decent a guy as you think. I promise that you can look good and be (somewhat) classy at the same time.

1. Think of the venue.
Are you going to a private party of 20 people or to a fraternity house? You could probably get away with a slightly more risqué outfit at a fraternity house than at a get-together in your friend’s basement. Not only is the setting a little wilder, but not as much attention is placed directly on you. There is a little more freedom knowing that someone there will most likely have “out-skanked” you because there are more people there. However, you may also want to consider what activities you will be partaking in at these parties. Think of it this way: alcohol plus dance floor plus small top and skirt equals embarrassing Facebook tags and shame.

2. Consider your friends’ costumes.
It could be a little awkward if your friends go out as Harry Potter characters and you show up as a Playboy Bunny (which is so overdone anyway). You don’t want to be pegged as “that friend” who had to outdo everyone but just ended up looking “silly.” On the other hand, you don’t necessarily want to pull a Mean Girls and walk into a party where everyone else has on a “Sexy [insert blue collar job here]” or “Sexy [insert not-so-sexy animal name here]” costume and you are a Zombie Bride. It’s okay to be creative and original, but your costume is supposed to make you feel unique in a good way, not in an uncomfortable way.

3. Wearing just your underwear is NOT OKAY.
Super short shorts, sure, but underwear? Too much. More like not enough, actually. This also goes for regular bras, especially the push-up kind that you wear under clothing. What about a sports bra? Sounds good. A bathing suit top? Go for it. There is just something about the fact that you’re wearing only your bra which instantly makes your outfit tacky. Even the belly shirt costumes (because we all know that real baseball uniforms only cover the players’ chests) are better than a bra. Essentially, this is Halloween, not a Victoria’s Secret runway show. Sophomore Gabrielle Fernandez says, “A slutty outfit takes away the spirit from Halloween a little bit.” People tend to forget about the costume aspect and focus more on the lack of coverage aspect.

4. Funny always wins.

Funny is great! But funny in a slutty way? Not so much. If you go as something not that sexy, say a giant penguin, you score major points for being so hilarious that it doesn’t matter that your cleavage and waist are nonexistent. Katy Miller, a sophomore, said, “Last year, I wore a pumpkin costume that was made for a dog, in an XL of course, and people loved it.” Guys will love your costume if it makes them laugh just as much if they would if it turned them on. Okay, so that may not be entirely true, but it’s worth a shot. However, it’s definitely not worth them thinking of you as skanky. Personality and sense of humor are sexy, too.

Halloween in any college town (especially Chapel Hill) is a huge deal and there are so many opportunities to have fun with your costume AND look great. So be imaginative and think of something that not only fits you but will make you feel good. You may wear the outfit for only one night, but the reputation of your costume can far outlive the evening.

What are you going to be for Halloween this year?

Sources:
Mean Girls (photo): WordPress, http://iambillal.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/tumblr_ksaj6pklog1qzppiio1_400.jpg
Baseball costume (photo): La La Lingerie,
http://www.lalalingerie.com/images/sexysportbaseballredcrop.jpg
Penguin costume (photo): Target, http://www.target.com/p/Men-s-Penguin-Costume-One-Size-Fits-Most/-/A-13669282

Sophomore, PR major at UNC