The Seven Deadly Sins of College: Your Guide to Good Graces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.
Let’s be honest. When was the last time you didn’t sin? Dealing with the ups and downs of college make it a lot easier to go astray.

Like their traditional counterparts, the seven deadly sins of college are vices students tend to commit on an everyday basis. They’re small and easily executed, such as pride, greed, and wrath. However, the four main vices within constant reach are lust, envy, sloth, and gluttony. It’s hard not to succumb to the alluring pull of these sins while living a collegiate lifestyle, but you don’t have to give in either. Here are some tips on how to avoid temptation and stay in good graces!

1. Lust

The athlete. The musician. The frat boy. There’s only one thing these collegiate characters have in common: Every girl has coveted one or the other, and with good reason. The guys that fall under these titles tend to attract the attention of countless girls on campus. Whether through their confident personalities, charming smiles, or breathtaking physiques, these collegiate men have managed to send their female peers into a whirlwind of emotions, causing them to go to great lengths in order to secure requited attention and affection. The whirlwind effect of crushing on a campus cutie may seem intoxicating. However, lusting after him means missing out on a number of other guys, those that are equally as attractive. Instead of placing all your eggs in one basket, why not try to develop friendships with different guys on campus, both celebrated and unknown. Your ability to mingle and bond over common interests will propel you into the running  for the most attractive female on campus. Soon, the guy you once lusted will desire you!

2. Envy

At a young age, we are taught that there is nothing wrong with a little competition. After all, we have competed with each other to secure a seat in a top university. Still, you have to wonder if competition in a collegiate setting provides more harm than good. Competition drives students to transcend all expectations placed before them. It pushes them to work harder and to shine. Then again, it also produces a negative, jealousy. The green-eyed monster causes us to criticize other students for their achievements. This jealousy hinders you from not only accomplishing your goals, but also from encouraging your fellow students. So embrace, not bash each other’s success. Doing so will lift that exhausting mindset that paints college as a giant competition, and replace it with amiable environment full of academic empowerment. Your sanity will thank you in the long run.  

3. Sloth
Without a doubt, the most committed deadly sin in college is sloth. We are lazy. We procrastinate. It’s as if sloth has become a quintessential part of the college student identity. It has gotten to the point that we have allotted time for naps within our day, or maybe that’s just me. Either way, have no shame! Do, however, recognize if idleness interferes with clinching your goals. Whether completing a late assignment, missing class, or pulling consecutive all-nighters, anything that deters progress should never become a part of your academic schedule. Instead, try implementing these strategies into your schedule:

Create A To-Do-List
This strategy has been around for years because it really works! Making a to do list allows you to both identify and prioritize what tasks need completion and when. Place the most important tasks at the forefront of your list and fulfill them in that order.

Find Your Motivation
With every action, there is a reason why. This is your motivation to move, to act. So, when you feel the urge to procrastinate, ask what is your motivation for not doing so. For example, ask yourself, “If I put off studying for another hour, then what would happen?” Your answer would be receiving a bad grade and, ultimately, reducing your GPA. No one wants that, right?   

And if those tactics do not prevent procrastination, then consider this quote: “Procrastination is like a credit card: it’s a lot of fun until you get the bill.”

Gluttony
The most wonderful and detrimental aspect of college is the amount of food that falls into your lap. It’s a double-edged sword, a blessing and a curse. While you can guarantee that you will never go hungry, you can also guarantee that you will gain a few pounds. Between the dining halls and the free food in the Pit we all get  food babies, the plump stomachs that result from too much food consumption, and begin to emerge at an alarming rate. It’s a serious pandemic affecting every campus nationwide. So, what is a collegiate woman to do? Working out is a given. Still, what if you are like myself and working out is just not your forte? Then try the little things. Instead of taking the bus around campus, walk. Walking up and down campus hills as you go to and fro class will surely burn calories and get your heart rate pumping. If you still feel inclined to ride the bus, then try changing your eating patterns. Instead of getting a calorie packed meal, try a bowl of yogurt with granola. Not only is it light and delicious, but also it has fewer calories and is packed with fiber and protein!     

Sources:
“The 7 Deadly Sins of Students” by Thomas H. Benton, The Chronicle of Higher Education, 2006
www.chronicle.com

“How to Get Your Crush”
www.seventeen.com

“Four Ways to Fight Procrastination” by Les Hewitt, Luc d’Abadie & Andrew Hewitt, The Power of Focus for College Students
http://www.focusedstudent.com

Deadly Sins Header (photo):
Azedesigns.blogspot.com
http://azedesigns.blogspot.com/

Couple in the Woods (photo):
Rudee23.tumblr.com
http://rudee23.tumblr.com/post/16537321837

Green Eye (photo):
Newgirlontheblogg.blogspot.com
http://newgirlontheblogg.blogspot.com/2010/07/jealousy-envy-jealousy.html

Girl Resting on the Couch (photo):
Thecandyshoppe.wordpress.com
http://thecandyshoppe.wordpress.com/tag/sloth-deadly-sin/  

Girl with Sundae (photo):
Design.iastate.edu
http://www.design.iastate.edu/cybercafe.php

Sophomore, PR major at UNC