yes god yes, movie poster, natalia dyer
yes god yes, movie poster, natalia dyer
Vertical Entertainment
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Last week, I was scrolling on Netflix — an everyday occurrence — when I saw Yes, God, Yes featured on a string of new releases. As someone who also listens to movie podcasts and reviews, the film was on my radar for quite a bit, but I didn’t realize its release date was so imminent. Without a second thought, I queued up the movie. Little did I know that my roommates and I were in for a movie that produced so much laughter and second-hand embarrassment. 

If you don’t know the plot, here’s a quick rundown. Yes, God, Yes is a 2020 release and the directorial debut of Karen Maine, who wrote the critically-acclaimed 2014 rom-com, Obvious Child. Maine’s directorial debut puts well-loved actress Natalia Dyer — most known for her role as Nancy in Stranger Things — front and center. Dyer plays Alice, a young teenager struggling with her budding sexual desires while attending a Midwestern Catholic high school. After a rumor spreads that she tossed someone’s salad — look it up on urban dictionary, if you don’t know what it means — she attends a four-day retreat to quell her budding sexuality and put all rumors to rest. Of course, hijinks ensue. Think: longing stares at the cute camp counselor, realizing the adult chaperones aren’t as squeaky clean as they present themselves and raging hormones. 

Yes, God, Yes moves quickly, clocking in at only 78 minutes. Not a moment is wasted, and I watched completely transfixed the entire time. Maine perfectly captures the seemingly endless questions young women have once they realize their sexual desires, underpinning why it’s so important to teach sexual health comprehensively. Some scenes were so close to my own experience that I both wanted to sink into my couch from second-hand embarrassment and rewind the movie to watch it again. 

Yes, God, Yes marks another entry of wonderful films targeted towards teen girls and young adult womxn. The movie is perfect for fans of Booksmart, Lady Bird, Blockers, Eighth Grade and Edge of Seventeen. Yes, God, Yes is an eyes-wide-open portrayal of young women and their budding sexuality and a perfect movie to watch either alone or with a group. At a crisp 78 minutes, the movie will fly by, and you’ll have the time of your life in the meantime. 

Gennifer Eccles is an alumna at UNC Chapel Hill and the co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Chapel Hill. She studied English and Women & Gender Studies. Her dream job is to work at as an editor for a publishing house, where she can bring her two majors together to help publish diverse, authentic and angst-ridden romance novels.