Relay for Life at UNC-Chapel Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Every year, schools and communities all around the country participate in Relay for Life, an event to raise money for Cancer research and to honor and remember people who have or had Cancer. It is an extremely well-known event, and it is very personal to so many people.

As a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill, I have participated in Relay for Life for about eight years, and every year I enjoy it even more than the last. I participate because my life has been affected by Cancer through friends and family. Some are survivors, and some of them lost their battles. I participate to honor each of them and to fight for them. Many people have a personal connection to Cancer, and because of that, Relay for Life is a great way to participate in order to help the ones we love. Coming together as a university to fight Cancer is an amazing feeling, and everyone should be a part of such a unifying event at least once!

This year, Relay for Life will be April 5-6, 2013 on Fetzer Field. It will begin at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, April 5th, and it will continue until 2:00 p.m. on April 6th. The theme is outer space. Each year there are numerous concerts, activities and booths that will keep you lively throughout the event, and this year is no different.  There will also be a beautiful luminary ceremony and a survivor lap during the evening. It is a wonderful event that you will not want to miss!

There have been multiple fundraisers and benefit nights at UNC-Chapel Hill. Some of the local businesses that have helped our campus chapter to raise money are Goodfellow’s, Sweet Frog, Sugarland, UNC Pauper Players, Qdoba, He’s Not Here, City Kitchen and many more! Don’t miss out on the details about the event and the fundraisers. “Like” UNC Relay for Life on Facebook, and follow them on Twitter!

Visit the UNC-Chapel Hill Relay for Life website to register and to pay the $15 fee. Help our campus to join in the fight to end Cancer! Come join members of the Chapel Hill community and members of the university for an amazing twenty hours!

Sources:

“Relay is out of this world” (photo): https://www.facebook.com/pages/UNC-Relay-For-Life/25848449330?fref=ts

“Cancer, Ain’t nobody got time for that” (photo): personal photo

“Keep calm and find the cure” (photo): http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLCY13SA?team_id=1275093&pg=team&fr_id=48723

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!