A Relationship Won’t Keep You Warm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Holidays are a beautiful thing. There are twinkling lights, rich reds, velvet, trees with frosted tips and those wonderful things called presents. The only downside I can think of (besides the layer of extra poundage from all the pumpkin pie and eggnog) is the fact that winter brings out one’s dependent side.

I don’t know if it’s the happy feelings Christmas gives people or the idea of cuddling up with someone when it is cold out, but people love to start new relationships at this time of the year. If you’re doing this to simply keep warm and get through the winter, don’t. There are other options. Buy a holiday drink from Starbucks or ask me to set you up on a cuddle date with my puppy.

Here’s a little anecdote for your educational purposes:

A close friend of mine found herself lonely during the holiday season last year. She wanted to go on dates so she could wear pretty holiday dresses and get presents from people other than her family–not to mention have someone to kiss on New Year’s. And what’s better than walking hand in hand with a boy through the snowy quad? As stories like these typically go, cue random boy who she kind of knew in high school. He was cute enough and funny enough for her. But what seemed to be the most important factor was that he was from the same town, so they could really spend the holiday season together. We all warned her.

As Thanksgiving gave way to the onset of Christmas lights and gingerbread houses, my friend found herself falling into a most random relationship. In a blur of red and green lights and dinners at cute restaurants all of the sudden her Facebook status changed to “in a relationship”. She was happy, so that was all that mattered. We all liked him enough and had hope that maybe this was not just a warm body to get through the holidays.

The funny thing is winter always turns to spring. Bundled up with scarves and jackets turns into boys throwing Frisbees in the quad shirtless and girls wearing sundresses. After Valentine’s Day, there is what I like to call “Spring Fever”. It’s an epidemic in which symptoms include breakups. The most typical of relationships to get the axe are ones like my dear friend’s. Bye bye random relationship, hello bikinis and self tanner.

Getting into relationships like this is never good. This winter, just remember to keep your head on straight and think through your decisions; don’t just jump into a relationship because there’s an option to do so. Keep that guy you’re thinking about in your back pocket. See if he stands the test of seasons and is still around in the spring. Take that time to get to know each other and your relationship is almost guaranteed to be more successful than if you just rushed into it for the New Year’s kiss.

Couple in snow (photo): Vi.sualize.Us, http://vi.sualize.us/view/7ba39af0d802d94f0fba443a37606027/

Sophomore, PR major at UNC