Quartier Latin: College “Town” in Paris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Going to a school in a big city offers advantages and disadvantages. You can experience so many diverse activities in the city, but at the same time, you don’t necessarily have a campus, where you can find belonging in a smaller group.

Paris is definitely a big city, and there is no traditional campus like we have in Chapel Hill. But for Parisian students, the whole city is their campus. According to “QS Best Student Cities in the World 2012” ranking by Quacquarelli Symonds, a U.K. company specializing in education and study abroad, Paris is the best city for college students to live in the world.

And the best place within that city for college students is the Quartier Latin, meaning Latin neighborhood in French. Sorbonne University, one of the most well-known universities in France, is located in this neighborhood, and it played a great role in shaping this college town. There are so many charming facts about Quartier Latin to attract young Parisians, and here are some I found the most attractive.

Eat, Eat, Eat!
Eating good food means a lot! But at the same time, if I keep eating all the good-looking food in Paris, I know I will go broke –food is so expensive here! Luckily in Quartier Latin, there are many affordable restaurants and cafes where students can enjoy a good meal for a reasonable price. For example, you can enjoy an appetizer, main plate and dessert for only 10 euros (about $12).

Also, most of cafes and sandwich shops have special menus for students that offer a sandwich and soda combo for less than 5 euros. To buy a student formula, you don’t even need a student ID; just say you are a student, and the deal is yours.
(I really want a nice picture for this part but i couldn’t get one yet. Can I add a picture later but pretty soon?)

Live in the history
Living in Paris for the past two months, I can see myself transforming into a local person, not merely being a tourist. I take a casual promenade along the Seine, pass by the Notre Dame Cathedral and say it’s “not a big deal.”

In fact, IT IS a big deal! In Quartier Latin, there are so many places you can just pass by or walk in and learn history. First, Cathedral de Notre Dame; do we need an explanation for it? Second, the River Seine; yes, we drink and chat with friends while casually looking at the peaceful river flowing in front of us. Third, Pantheon, a building originally built as a church, but now being partly used as a cemetery where famous features such as Rousseau, Victor Hugo and Marie-Curie are buried.

The Pantheon (Photo by Sojung Hong)

Perfect garden for a rest
Last but not least, there is a beautiful park in the middle of the neighborhood, called the Jardin du Luxembourg (the Luxembourg Gardens).” Originally built as a small castle, the building is now open to the public as a museum, and the garden is a public park where any Parisians can come and go.

The Luxembourg Gardens (Photo by Sojung Hong)

Usually college students hang out in the park during lunch or after class with friends. Lying down on the grass, taking a short nap between classes, enjoying beautiful weather while having a drink –everything is just fine here in this peaceful park in the middle of busy, crowded city.  

Some people say it is easy for you to feel alone and frustrated when you are surrounded by so many people in the big city. However, Quartier Latin is just too full of interesting activities to feel lonely.

Sophomore, PR major at UNC