New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As 2013 comes to an end, you may be thinking about your goals for the new year. Whether it be exercising, eating healthier, or studying more, resolutions can sometimes be difficult. Here are some quick tips for keeping your resolutions past the month of January.

1. Pick realistic goals

Try to pick something that you can easily manage throughout the year. Keep in mind your other activities and how your resolution will coincide.

2. Be specific

The more concise you are, the easier your resolution will be to follow. Maybe instead of saying, “I want to eat healthier” actually define what eating healthier means to you. Does it mean less sweets, cutting out soda, or more vegetables? Alter your resolution to your personal goal.

3. Make a plan

Don’t make your resolution the day before New Year’s, start now! Set out a schedule for yourself.

4. Enlist support

Have a positive support team of family and friends. Maybe even find some friends with the same goals to keep each other track. You’ll find it much easier to go to the gym if you have a buddy to go with you.

5. Stick to it

Don’t give up! Change doesn’t come overnight. Experts say that it takes about 21 days for something to become habit. So even if you slip up a few times, if your resolution is something you really care about, keep working.

Kelsie Gibson

Chapel Hill

Kelsie Gibson is a senior Communication Studies major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is from Kannapolis, NC. She is a member of Phi Beta Chi sorority. She loves to sing, act, write, and spend time with family and friends.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.