This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

This one’s for you nerds. Even those changing the world need to do a bit of bingeing, every once in a while.

CNN’s Decades Collection

This collection includes four documentary-style mini-series narrated by Tom Hanks and sponsored by CNN. Each episode covers a different piece of a decade. For example, the first episode of each decade’s mini-series is on television culture. These are fantastic for anyone even moderately interested in the modern history of America.

West Wing

West Wing is a classic that needs to be seen by everyone with a secret love for politics. It is a slightly happier version of the U.S. political world. The sort of world that would happen if, you know, polarization wasn’t a thing and compromise wasn’t a dirty word.

Explained

Explained is associated with the wonderful Vox Media. It takes the most random of topics and delves into the nitty gritty details. You can easily hop around from episode to episode, or you can just watch the ones that interest you.

Roman Empire

Roman Empire is a very dramatized version of Ancient Roman history. However, dubious sensationalized details aside, it provides an entertaining take on some of the most famous or, more appropriately, infamous emperors of the time.

Oliver Stone’s Untold History of the US

The lovely Oliver Stone teaches us everything our history teachers were never allowed to teach us. The more shameful details that our textbooks omit are put on full display in this docu-series.

Schindler’s List

Thank you, Netflix, for adding this masterpiece of the horrors of humanity to your catalog. Make sure you don’t watch this when you are feeling down.

Medici

Medici introduces you to the super hot members of the Medici family from Florence. You know, the family that pretty much founded modern banking. All the same, except Isaac from Teen Wolf and Robb from Game of Thrones grace our screens as the leading men.

Black Mirror

Pretty much all social science majors can find something interesting here, especially the psych majors. I would recommend skipping the Miley episode though. That one is not great. (Bonus points to you if you get the photo reference).

The Ted Bundy Tapes

If you are like me and get spooked easily, don’t watch these at night.

Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj

Finally, here is my favorite thing on Netflix. Think John Oliver, but infuse youth, suaveness, and a relentless humor. Thank you, Hasan Minhaj, for making learning entertaining. New episodes every Sunday.

Bonus:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

This one is just universally great.

Katie Jackson

Chapel Hill '23

Katie is an undergrad at UNC Chapel Hill. She is part of the Campus Y Outreach Taskforce and HYPE Tutoring. Interested in sustainability, economics, and global culture and policy, Katie plans to study business, public policy, and environmental sciences. Katie loves her kitten named Hiccup (yes, from How to Train Your Dragon), her two dogs, her other kitten (even though it is technically her sister's) and her cat.