This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Netflix has been producing its own shows and movies for a while now, amassing a decent collection over several genres. As someone who has been watching Netflix for over 10 years (yes, I started watching when you had to rent the DVDs), I feel like I can say that not all Netflix Originals are childish, cheesy and/or uninteresting. In fact, most of the Originals are very well made, regardless if it is a movie, show or animated series. Certain series or movies will get pretty popular because of an A-list celebrity starring in it, but I feel like there are some hidden gems that need some recognition.

The OA

The OA is my favorite (emphasis on FAVORITE) Netflix Original series. The series focuses on a once blind woman who miraculously regains her sight after a stint in a kidnapper’s high-tech basement. It sounds absolutely wild already, but bear with me. This woman, Prarie Johnson, manages to escape, but she is looking for people to help her free her friends who are still trapped. A band of unlikely characters comes together to help her without fully knowing if her story is true. 

The series is very complex and beautifully written. It’s definitely the kind of show that I would enjoy watching over and over again. Sadly, there are only two seasons, and Netflix has cancelled it, bringing an end to the intricate story that was supposed to have five parts. Either way, I recommend watching it and reveling in the unreality that is The OA.

The Fundamentals of Caring

The Fundamentals of Caring is a heartfelt movie starring Paul Rudd as the depressed caregiver to a disabled teen, played by Craig Roberts. The movie follows Rudd’s character on a path of hope, friendship and forgiveness, as he and Roberts’ character go on a road trip. Hilarity ensues when they pick up a runaway teen, played by Selena Gomez, and a pregnant woman.

I really liked this movie because it shows how different people process personal tragedy, as well as the power of forgiveness, not only the forgiveness of others, but of yourself. Rudd and Roberts’ relationship on screen was amazing, their personalities complementing each other well throughout the hijinks and surprisingly sweet moments.

The Society

Lord of the Flies meets Riverdale is the best way to describe The Society. Teens are on their way to a camping trip funded by the high school when a storm forces them to turn around. Everyone on the bus falls asleep at the same time, and they wake up in their hometown with one thing missing: all of the adults. They rush to figure out how to support themselves, while also trying to figure out what is going on in their adultless town.

I wouldn’t say this is a favorite show of mine, but I did like how the director and writers made this scenario new and modernized it by having the teens take on political roles, as well as other “adult” roles. Only one season is out right now, but I hope they solve the mystery in the second season.

Dude

Dude throws you back to senior year of high school, with the stress of college applications, graduation and the fear of losing your friends. Lucy Hale stars in this comedy that takes place in her last two weeks of high school. She is a bit of a control freak, laying out the next four years of her life with her best friend who finally reveals that she isn’t sure what she wants to do, something on which the drama of the movie focuses. 

This movie, while really good, does require some content warnings that I wish I knew of before I watched it: drugs, alcohol and sexual assault are all present in the movie. Aside from those issues, I found the movie to be relatable, and it brought on some nostalgia.

The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell

If you like Martha Stewart, then you would love The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell. Christine McConnell is an artist and baker that creates gorgeous gothic crafts, foods, dresses and much more. Her Netflix Original series flows like a scripted series, but it has tutorials on how to make various things, mainly food items. I highly recommend watching this show for the humor and amazing crafts that Christine McConnell creates alongside her puppet pals, who are just as funny as you think they would be.

Netflix has other really amazing originals that are under-appreciated, it just takes some time to find them! These five are a good place to start, especially if you’re looking for something to binge-watch.

Paige Pennebaker

Chapel Hill '21

Paige Pennebaker is an aspiring writer who attends UNC-Chapel Hill as a Senior during the day. She enjoys writing fiction and has been published on shortfictionbreak.com. While fiction is where her heart is, Paige also has a lot to say about the real world and how to get by.