This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Hey, everyone! As the editor-in-chief of Her Campus at Chapel Hill, I’m loving this new series in which our readers (you!) get to meet our team. This week, you’re meeting Carissa, a writer and editor who joined our team this semester! You’ve probably already read some of Carissa’s amazing articles, but check them out if you haven’t! Carissa is a senior at UNC-CH, majoring in Comparative Literature. She also studies Japenese and is from  Johannesburg, South Africa. Let’s give a warm welcome to Carissa! 

Why did Her Campus appeal to you?

I had friends who were part of the Her Campus team, last semester, and I always heard great things about it. I thought it sounded like a fun idea to join, but at the time I was pulling my hair out over my senior honors thesis, and I didn’t want to add anything else to my plate. With my late-night, Red-Bull-infused thesis finally finished, however, I wanted to explore my creativity and writing style outside of academia. Her Campus has become something like a personal journal, these past few weeks (that is totally open to the public, but I try not to think about that), and it’s been a liberating experience to experiment with humor, vulnerability and a wide variety of topics.

What is your dream job/career path?

I have no idea! I thought I was going to be many different things as I was growing up (ranging from filmmaker to paleoanthropologist), but throughout university, my career aspirations have pointed to one common thing: I want to write, and I want my writing to resonate with people, whether someone finds something I said relatable or my personal struggles and triumphs help someone feel less alone in theirs. I’ll be pretty content no matter what I do.

What’s something that everyone should know about you?

I can’t own a real cat where I live right now, so I make up for it by owning a million cat-themed coffee mugs. They also enable my honestly shocking caffeine addiction.

You only have one birthday present. What do you want? (not money!)

I love knickknacks, and I keep anything from pebbles to receipts in a box under my bed. If anyone gives me a gift, no matter how small or random, I will probably keep it forever. If I had to choose one birthday present, though, it would be a fancy coffee maker.

What are three movies that describe your life?

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron because I watched it every day, as a kid, and I was definitely the weird horse girl throughout middle school. The Neverending Story, another childhood favorite that resonated with my love for, well, stories. And lastly, Stardust because I’m a sap.

What is your perfect day like?

Lately, a perfect day for me is waking up early on a Saturday morning to welcome some friends over for warm drinks, breakfast and a game of Dungeons and Dragons. Afterward, we go out for lunch, or I spend the rest of the day relaxing on my couch.

What are your hobbies?

I don’t get out much, these days (work and school tend to do that), but some hobbies I’d love to pursue more are horse riding and hiking. When I get a few precious hours to relax at home, I enjoy playing games and reading.

What is your weirdest talent?

I don’t think I have any – it took me like a year to practice lifting one eyebrow, if that counts (it doesn’t).

What are you most excited to do with Her Campus this year?

I’m excited to spend more time with all the lovely ladies on the team and to continue exploring myself and the world around me through my writing.
Carissa Roets

Chapel Hill '19

Born in South Africa and now living in the United States, Carissa is a senior attending UNC-Chapel Hill where she majors in Comparative Literature. Her passion for language learning, global cultures, and all things nerdy inspires her writing.