Make That Polish Last!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

If you want your manicure to last longer, you first have to buy nail polish that is less likely to chip. Nail polish brands like Essie and OPI tend to last longer than other brands. The brands come in a variety of colors that coincide with the seasons. However, you should note that neutrals and opaque nude polishes do last longer because of the texture. There are some technical things you can do in order to prevent the polish from chipping.

First, make sure you wash and dry your hands properly before applying the nail polish, even if your nails are polish-free. Oils and debris can cause polish to chip. Don’t soak your nails in water! Just like your skin, your nails have pores and when they are soaked they absorb the water causing them to expand. So when the polish dries it stays in that expanded position and will chip faster because those pores will contract when they dry up.

Second, always make sure to put a base coat to the entire nail. Leave a tiny free margin around the cuticle line, so polish doesn’t touch the skin. The base coat is suppose to help the polish stay on longer by bonding with the color nail polish that you are going to use. It also helps prevents nail polish from turning nails yellow.

Third, use two coats of the color nail polish; it strengthens your nails. Don’t apply more than two coats; the thicker your polish dries, the faster it will chip. Apply your polish from your thumbs out, it give the polish time to settle a little.

Fourth, use a top coat. A top coat protects your nails against scratches and makes the enamel last longer.

Fifth, get a cotton swab and apply a little bit of acetone at the end of one of the sides. With that same side of the cotton swab, trace around the outside of your nails (your cuticle). This helps prevent chipping from the top of the nail. Next, let your nails dry properly. A good 40-45 minutes should be enough. Last, remember to apply another top coat after the first three days of your manicure.

Another tip is to never use clumpy nail polish. You can prevent your polish from clumping up in the bottle by storing them in the refrigerator or keeping them in a cool place. This helps keep the texture and consistency longer.

Vanessa Martinas was born on February 3, 1990 in Paterson, New Jersey. She is of Dominican decent and she speaks English and Spanish fluently. She is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, specializing in electronic communication. Currently she is a reporter for Carolina Week, UNC's broacasting news show.
Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!