andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

London: Giving Me Life, Anxiety and Appreciation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Three weeks ago, I said goodbye to my parents, my brother and my dog as I took flight to London. I think my friends and family were more excited for me. In fact, only 10 percent of me was excited. The rest, the other 90 percent, was terrified. At the last minute, I actually considered not going. But given that my peers were already three weeks into the semester, City University of London had already been paid, and my “accommodation” was set, I knew that wasn’t an option.

So I anxiously grabbed my bags, my coat, said a tearful goodbye to my parents and turned towards the security gate.

The next morning, I was in London. And made brutally aware of London traffic as my driver navigated. Everything about the city confused me. I knew that traffic was driven on the opposite sides of the street than that of the States, but I still wasn’t prepared for it. Every turn seemed like a collision was about to occur. Moreover, I was having a hard time convincing myself that the drivers were actually in the driver’s seat and not the passenger’s. Later, I discovered crossing traffic was another ordeal entirely.

When I arrived to my flat, I was given my key. Now, I’ll preface this next statement by saying: every other door is marked “Fire Exit.” Now you’ll understand why I couldn’t find my flat, as I didn’t know it was past a door marked as a fire exit! I thought I would set off the fire alarm before I even unlocked my door.

After contemplating whether I should risk tripping the alarm for 10 minutes, I decided to go for it. Truthfully, that’s been my motto my entire time in London.

At any rate, I discovered the flat was actually very nice. I haven’t shared a room in two years, so having two roommates and three other flat mates has been an adjustment. Luckily, we have two and a half bathrooms, so unless someone needs their toothbrush, it hasn’t been an issue. The kitchen is a bit small, but the living area has enough space for all six of us to sit comfortably. One thing about London: they do small spaces really well.

Which leads me to the transportation system. It’s a bit expensive. At a student discount rate I pay about 90 pounds (approximately 150 dollars) for a monthly pass. However, London’s transportation system is amazing. I cannot count the number times I have missed the bus in Chapel Hill and had to wait or walk (run) to class. Since I’ve been in London, I’ve never worried about missing the bus. In fact, I have missed it. But the buses literally run every 3 minutes, so there’s really no stress about getting to class on time.

I will say that I miss my home university. I took for granted the community that exists on campus when I was in the states. Here, students go to class, and then (for the most part) they leave. It’s hard to make friends in London who are actually from London when they disperse into city life immediately after the “module” (class) ends. I wrote an early Her Campus Chapel Hill article where I mentioned the inevitable feeling of homesickness. I knew I would miss my friends and family, but I had no idea I would miss the spirit of a campus community so badly. I’ll be forever grateful for my university for constantly encouraging the vitality of the student body.

I’ve always said Chapel Hill is the smallest town I ever want to live. After spending a few weeks in London, I can say that statement is still true. The best part about London is being able to go anywhere and discover something new everyday. Maybe that’s not a fair statement, but that’s my own experience. Even though I don’t have a car here, I don’t feel stuck. I feel empowered. Even if the bus system wasn’t spectacular, I have the ability to just get up and go for (and to) it. The “it” being museums, parks, historical sights, shops and touristy attractions.

If anyone is thinking about study abroad, I’ll stick with my aforementioned motto and say, “go for it.” Pick a place that sounds mildly interesting and enjoy the differences (and similarities) a new location has to offer. If you’re not thinking about study abroad, you should. Let’s forget about what career services has to say about making you a more marketable candidate. Let’s forget about your resume, your cover letter(s) and your potential employer. Study abroad has the ability to impact more than a future career.

That’s all I can say.

I can’t tell you anymore than that. I don’t know how you’ll be impacted by your experience. I hardly know how to describe the impact my own experience is having/will continue to have on me. At the very least, I’m encouraged to see the world. So, cheers (because you can legally drink alcohol at 18 in Europe) and happy exploring.

Elise McGlothian is a Junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She plans to graduate in 2016 with a degree in Broadcast Electronic Journalism. Since starting her collegiate life, Elise has decided to pursue a career a Television and Entertainment Producer so she can spread messages of self-respect, share the hardships and triumphs of others and become a resource to all.