Katie Magee ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Campus Cutie:  Katie Magee
Hometown:  Raleigh, NC
Year:  Sophomore
Major:  Chemistry

Favorite place to study:
“Upstairs in the UL!  It’s sort of social because you see people you know but quiet enough to get a lot of work done.”

Favorite restaurant on campus:
“Mediterranean Deli!  I love the hummus there and the chicken, and pita, and pretty much everything!  I didn’t try it till the end of last year, and I’m sad I missed out on it for so long!”

Best memory from this summer:
“I taught swim lessons this summer, and one of my students is autistic.  He’s seven, and I had him swimming in a month or two!  It was really exciting, and he and his family were so happy.  It was very rewarding.”

Likes and Interests:
Running, being healthy, J Crew, little kids, Trader Joes, music

Why shes our Campus Cutie:
Ambitious and outgoing, Katie is involved in a variety of organizations at UNC.  When she’s not cooking food with friends or going for a run around campus, Katie can be found volunteering with TABLE (an organization that works to provide healthy meals to children in Orange County) or assisting with research projects at the UNC School of Medicine and UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.  Last semester Katie became certified as a basic emergency medical technician, and this year she’s eager to showcase her skills as an EMT volunteer on an ambulance in Durham.

“The class last year was a fair amount of work, but I’m really excited to get out on an ambulance and start putting what I learned into practice.  You have to make quick decisions and keep the patient calm, and it can get kind of stressful, but I’m really enjoying it so far.  I can’t really do that much on the ambulance so far because I’m just an EMT-Basic, but after my intermediate course I’ll be able to give IVs and intubate people, which will be really intense.”

With both a bright smile and a bright mind, Katie exudes energy and lights up a room.  Following her favorite phrase, “Do what you like; like what you do,”Katie has already contributed much to her campus and her community, and she doesn’t plan on slowing down anytime soon.  In addition to applying for a Nutrition major in March, she aims to eventually attend medical school and participate in Teach for America.

Photo credit:  Joe Cabaleiro

Sierra Piland is a Journalism – Graphic Design and Communication Studies – Media Production double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, class of 2012. She is President of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors (CAFME), the Ed2010 branch at UNC-CH and Design Director of UNC’s popular fashion magazine Kaleidoscope. She has also been on staff with The Daily Tar Heel design department. This past summer, she interned with MTV Networks working in the .com department of CMT (Country Music Television) and is currently an intern at Southern Weddings Magazine. Sierra has a passion for art and design but is also thoroughly interested in filmmaking and the entertainment industry. When she has time, she loves to get away to the beach or mountains with friends and family.