How to Spring Into Next Season with Style!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

On Feb. 2, Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, condemning us to six more weeks of winter.  While this is normally a dreaded prediction, the beautiful weather and unseasonably high temperatures of the past few months have made it bearable, if not welcomed!  

Although this winter has been unusual, the impending transition into spring always seems to bring along some unpredictable climate conditions.  On any given day it can be raining, sunny, chilly, sweltering or stormy.  Unfortunately, this erratic weather poses quite a challenge when planning an outfit.

Your closet is still stuffed with cozy sweaters, but you are dying to bring out your shorts and sandals.  The dark shades of your winter wardrobe are starting to put you into a depression.  Wondering how you can last through the unpredictable weather and make the seemingly impossible style transition from winter to spring?  Keep reading to learn how to combine both seasons’ wardrobes and before you know it, bikini season will have arrived!  (With a whole new set of problems …)

Lots of Layers
Between your early morning class and lunchtime, the temperature can shift from freezing to balmy in a few short hours.  To make sure that your teeth aren’t chattering in the morning and you aren’t overheating in the afternoon, wear lots of layers!  Throw a blazer or jacket over a light sweater or cardigan for those brisk walks across campus.  As it warms up, you can peel off each layer and reveal even more of your adorable outfit as you do it!

Weatherproof Wellies
As tempting as it is to flaunt those new leather boots or suede ballet flats, the elements can cause irreversible damage to your fancy footwear.  If the clouds in the sky look a bit daunting or the weather forecast calls for a chance of showers, slip on a pair of rainboots.  If the temperature drops during the downpour, you can even pull on a pair of cozy socks to go under your boots.  This way you will be warm, dry and stylish, despite the dreary weather.

A Pop of Color
You can always count on spring fashion trends to be colorful, but during the transition from the winter months, it can be hard to find wardrobe elements that are both practical and vibrant.  If the weather isn’t quite warm enough for you to show off your bright new sundress or mini skirt, try adding a pop of color into your outfit with an accessory or two.  Whether it is a bejeweled statement necklace, a pair of pastel skinnies, a neon handbag, or some colorful shades, these accessories will more than succeed in breathing life into your somewhat dull wardrobe.

Chic Windbreakers
Although the time has passed for needing a puffy down coat at hand, sometimes the blustery end-of-winter weather can catch you off guard.  Replace your parkas and heavy winter coats with lighter trench coats or fun raincoats.  These will protect you from the wind chill while at the same time making you look effortlessly stylish.

Peek-a-boo Shoes
Did you happen to buy a ridiculously cute pair of open-toed or cut out booties over the winter and quickly realize that they were completely unrealistic while walking on a snowy sidewalk?  Now is the perfect time to break in your new buy!  While these shoes aren’t exactly sandals, they show just the perfect amount of skin to lead into the spring and summer months.  You can pair them with practically anything and are sure to draw some envious stares.

What’s your favorite way to pump up your winter wardrobe?  Leave a comment and let us know how you plan on making a chic and effortless style transition into spring!

Sources:

Girl wearing layers (photo): Brooklyn Blonde, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Helena928/IMG_8802-2.jpg

Trenchcoat and Rainboots (photo): Atlantic-Pacific, http://atlantic-pacific.blogspot.com/

Neon Bag (photo): Fashion Squad, http://www.fashionsquad.com/

Lacey Raincoat (photo): South Moon Under, http://www.southmoonunder.com/Free-People-Exclusive-Lacey-Rain-Coat/152165,default,pd.html?dwvar_152165_color=AQUA&dwvar_152165_size=64&start=9&cgid=100]

Sophomore, PR major at UNC