How To Not Be a Junk Food Vegetarian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Maybe you want to be healthier; maybe you’re trying to
save money and reduce your carbon footprint; maybe that pamphlet the PETA activists gave you in the quad, or the summer reading book Eating Animals, made a lot of sense to you. There are many reasons people have to become vegetarians, and many make the decision to try it in college. However, being a vegetarian does not always equal healthy, and if you’re not careful you could end up being a junk food vegetarian (which is just as, if not more, unhealthy than a meat-eating diet). Here is a quick list of dos and don’ts that can help you prevent becoming a junk food vegetarian.

Don’t think you can eat whatever you want as long as it’s not meat:

As I said before, vegetarian doesn’t necessarily mean healthy. Yes, by cutting out meat you cut out a lot of fatty foods, but don’t think you have free reign to eat whatever else you want. There are plenty of fatty vegetarian foods. Many vegetarian options in restaurants are simply combinations of cheese and starch: grilled cheese, cheese pizza, cheese ravioli, cheese quesadillas, the list goes on. These kinds of foods should be eaten in moderation, and if you’re going to get something with a lot of cheese, try to make sure there are some vegetables as well so you get at least some nutritional benefit. Sugary foods like candy and baked goods, although vegetarian, are still just as bad for you as well.

Don’t skip the protein:

It seems like a no-brainer, but protein is important. If you cut out your primary source of protein, then you need to replace it with other sources of protein. The USDA recommends that women ages 19-30 consume 5 ½ ounce equivalents of protein a day. One ounce equivalent equals a quarter cup of cooked beans, one egg, one tablespoon of peanut butter or a half cup of nuts or seeds. Other sources of protein include low-fat dairy like milk, yogurt and cheese, tofu, tempeh or meat substitutes like veggie burgers.

Do
try different types of cuisine:

The common American formula of meat, starch and two veggies doesn’t translate well into a vegetarian meal. It’s easy to end up just eating sides if you can’t find a good substitute for the meat. There are certain cuisines that translate better to vegetarianism because they incorporate more vegetarian sources of protein. For example, beans are a staple of Mexican cuisine and can easily be used in most dishes. Also, Indian and other Asian cuisines use tofu in many dishes. Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, are the main ingredient in hummus and falafel, two popular Middle Eastern foods, and are also found in Indian cuisine. Luckily, both Franklin Street and the bottom of Lenoir offer a wide variety of food options. However, it’s up to you to try something new.

Do buy a vegetarian cookbook and learn how to cook:

The best way to eat healthy is to start cooking, because then you can control not only flavor, but also how nutritious your food is. Vegetarian cookbooks are great resources when you first become a vegetarian. They take the pressure off of trying to figure out a healthy, balanced meal by giving you recipes to follow. A good cookbook will not only supply you with delicious recipes but will also include nutritional guides for fruits, vegetables, grains and proteins; as well as tips for making the most out of your meals. After trying a few recipes, you should be able to figure out the basics and start planning meals on your own. A few of my favorites are The Teen’s Vegetarian Cookbook, New Vegetarian Cuisine and Quick Vegetarian Pleasures.

Do
eat whole grains:

Starches like pasta and rice are staples of a vegetarian diet. However, if you eat the regular white, processed versions of these foods then you get a lot of filler with little nutritional benefit. Whole grains contain more nutrients and have been associated with lower risks for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Thus, try switching to brown rice and whole grain pasta and breads. Or better yet, expand your grain horizons to include quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) or barley which both have protein and numerous other nutrients.

Hopefully this quick guide will allow you to make better decisions when planning your vegetarian meals. Are you an experienced vegetarian or do you have other suggestions for readers looking to try this lifestyle? Let us know and spread the word through our comment section below!

Photos:

Mac ‘n Cheese Pizza (photo): Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/abbamouse/260985307/sizes/m/in/photostream/
Falafel (photo): Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/janekm/2239648471/sizes/m/in/photostream/
Bread and Grains (photo): Flickr,: http://www.freestockphotos.biz/stockphoto/10104

Brittany is a senior Visual Communications major in the UNC-CH School of Journalism and an Entrepreneurship minor, originally from Frederick, MD. This summer she interned in the fashion department of O, The Oprah Magazine in NYC. She has interned at the Durham Herald-Sun Newspaper and as a multi-media producer for the UNC Foreign Language Department and School of Education. Brittany enjoys snowboarding, rock climbing, water sports and all things to do with the beach. In the future she hopes to work in the magazine industry, travel and continue practicing yoga.