How Nick Miller Raised the Standards of Kissing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

If you watch New Girl (if you aren’t you definitely need to be), then you saw one of the most highly anticipated scenes New Girl fans waited patiently–and maybe a little impatiently–for. You all know what I’m talking about, the kiss Nick and Jess shared. This kiss is what made so many girls turn to the internet and proclaim that the standards of kissing had just risen, Nick Miller style.

There are few things better than feeling someone’s soft, pillowy lips against your own. That moment the person you have feelings for grabs you and kisses you deeply and with so much care that you feel like you want to stay in that moment forever.

When Nick grabbed Jess and kissed her, he was passionate about it. He looked like he never wanted to let her go and wanted to live in that moment–kissing her every single day he possibly could.

The reaction Jess had was only natural–she was flustered. Nick was/is her friend and yet, they were kissing in a more than friendship way. It was a great kiss because it left her speechless. To paraphrase Jess in the post-kiss episode, it was the kind of kiss that made him a man and her a woman. It was firm and tender.  

There’s something irresistible about a romantic kiss that you just can’t control. When, until the kiss occurred, you didn’t realize you even wanted to kiss this person but somehow it’s pure perfection. This was certainly the situation between Nick and Jess.

But, I digress. The reason Nick Miller raised the standard of kissing for men everywhere is because all women want to be kissed that way at some point in their lives. We all want the kind of kiss that leaves you breathless and speechless. The way in which he held her had love written all over it. It made you forget that you were watching two actors because it felt so real. It made all of us, women, aspire to have someone kiss us that way one day.   

This is the kind of kiss that leads to that “can’t eat, can’t sleep, reach for the stars, over the fence, World Series kind of thing” love Diane talked about in It Takes Two.

If you don’t believe me, watch the 52 second clip! If you watch it only once, congratulations! You’re better than me and thousands of other fans who have watched this countless times.

Sources:

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/14/new_girls_jake_johnson_is_a_big_tease/
http://newgirl.wikia.com/wiki/File:Jess_and_Nick.jpg
http://www.tvweb.com/news/elizabeth-meriwether-talks-jess-and-nicks-big-kiss-on-new-girl-season-2

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!