Heels for Healing 5K

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

With a forecast of 75 degrees and sunny, how could anyone possibly turn down running, or walking, in a 5K that could help make a difference in the lives of children with life-threatening medical illnesses?  Luckily, you won’t have to.  This weekend on Saturday, March 31, 2012, the UNC Association of Nursing Students will be hosting the first annual Heels for Healing 5K benefitting the non-profit organization, BounceBack Kids.

BounceBack Kids’ mission is “to bring together and serve kids with life-challenging medical conditions to enrich the lives of participants and their families.”  The organization works together with influential sports figures and programs to create modified recreational activities that allow the children in the program to participate in organized sporting events, as well as providing support for families when their child is hospitalized.

“ANS decided to partner with BounceBack Kids because their mission is closely in line with our goals as an organization,” said Lisa Skiver, president of UNC-ANS.

“As nursing students, we understand the importance of including all those who help care for a sick child, including their parents and siblings.”

The Heels for Healing 5K will do just that.  Many of the families will be there with their children; some will even be participating in the festivities. 

According to Skiver, not only will there be a 5K, but there will a kids fun-run where all participants will receive a medal.  In addition, there will be a Kid’s Zone including a bouncy house, a fire truck, puppies from Orange County Animal Services, face painting, and more.

The 5K will start and finish at UNC’s Old Well.  In attendance will be Dean Kristen Swanson of the UNC School of Nursing, who will start the race. 

Skiver hopes the event will grow and prosper in the years to come.

“We’ve set a foundation for future members of ANS and I hope that they realize the significance of this year’s event as well as the difference they can continue to make in the future for BounceBack Kids.”

For more information on the race and course map, or to register, visit http://www.bouncebackkids.org/5k.

Brittany is a senior Visual Communications major in the UNC-CH School of Journalism and an Entrepreneurship minor, originally from Frederick, MD. This summer she interned in the fashion department of O, The Oprah Magazine in NYC. She has interned at the Durham Herald-Sun Newspaper and as a multi-media producer for the UNC Foreign Language Department and School of Education. Brittany enjoys snowboarding, rock climbing, water sports and all things to do with the beach. In the future she hopes to work in the magazine industry, travel and continue practicing yoga.