Healthy Alternatives to Thanksgiving Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, family and of course, food.  The typical Thanksgiving meal can have up to 4,500 calories and 229 grams of fat, according to the Calorie Control Council.  

That’s almost three days worth of food for most of us!  Butter, cream and white bread seem to be lurking in almost every dish, and the meal seems never-ending.  A delicious and satisfying holiday meal doesn’t always have to be unhealthy.  There are many alternatives and substitutions to those fatty ingredients, from hors d’oeuvres to dessert.  You don’t want to spend your Black Friday shopping finding the next size up in jeans, so if want to change things up, try out these healthy and easy recipes on Turkey day — You can thank me later.

1. Turkey

As the star of the meal, it’s important to have a delicious and crowd-pleasing turkey.  While the bird is packed with protein and is generally low in calories, the preparation often taints its nutritional value.  Rubbing in butter, deep-frying, and pairing with gravy are popular choices but not the best ones. Fresh herbs and olive oil add flavor without the unhealthy substances, and pairing it with a light, sweet and savory au jus sauce is a much healthier alternative to gravy.  Besides, how fancy will you feel when you announce that the turkey and au jus is served?    

Get the recipe here

2. Stuffing

Stuffing is undeniably a must-have dish on Thanksgiving.  However, using white bread does nothing but add unnecessary carbs, sugars and gluten to your meal.  Instant stuffing like Kraft Stove Top is loaded with salt, processed flour, partially hydrogenated soybean oil and other ingredients I can’t even pronounce—yum?  Try this quinoa, sweet potato and dried cranberry stuffing and you’ll never go back to the sinful stuff. The gluten-free grain is a yummy low-cholesterol source of protein, calcium, iron and other heart-essential minerals.  The sweet potatoes provide heartiness while the cranberries add natural sweetness.

Get the recipe here

3. Mashed Potatoes

If you’re looking for a low-carb, low-fat alternative to mashed potatoes I’ve found the perfect solution — cauliflower is the new potato. When you mash this white veggie and add non-fat buttermilk, you’ll get the look and creamy taste of mashed potatoes without all the guilt.  Rich in vitamin C and potassium, cauliflower provides a health boost to any diet.  Just add garlic and the spices of your choice, and you’ve got a tasty dish with one-fourth of the calories of typical mashed potatoes.

Get the recipe here

4. Gravy

If you don’t want to opt for the au jus or you just can’t imagine a Thanksgiving meal without gravy, aim for a healthy option.  Gravy made from turkey drippings is high in fat, but the good news is there’s a super easy way to make gravy that’s just as delicious and completely fat free!  They key is to use fat-free stock or broth as your base.  When combined with a little parsley, pepper, and onions or mushrooms if you wish, the gravy thickens over medium heat to produce a smooth and flavorful topping to your turkey and other dishes.

Get the fast and easy recipe here

5. Pie

Healthy deep-dish apple pie? Yes, there is such a thing.  A typical slice of apple pie has between 700 and 800 calories, and the main culprit is the crust.  Using whole-wheat flour instead of white automatically cuts down the calories and adds fiber.  Another easy fix is to use canola oil in place of butter, which will cut down your saturated fat intake.  I’ve found a mouthwatering recipe that allows you to indulge in one of the best parts of the Thanksgiving meal, dessert.  With half the calories of a typical version and only 10 grams of fat, you’ll be going back for a second slice without regretting it later.  

Get the recipe here

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!