Healthy Alternatives to Tempting Fall Comfort Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Fall has officially arrived! Leaves are changing color, temperatures are dropping, and Halloween is just around the corner. It’s time to dig your cozy sweaters out from the back of your closet and curl up next to a fireplace in your favorite coffee shop. Autumn also welcomes the arrival of tailgates, hayrides and holiday parties. With such an abundance of fall festivities, it’s hard to avoid all of the tempting but fattening comfort foods that accompany the chilly climate. While you can hide an expanding waistline under your jackets in the cooler months, once the ever-dreaded bikini season rolls around you will be seriously regretting giving into your hankering for those decadent treats. To keep from packing on the pounds, try a few of these low-cal alternatives to your favorite fall temptations:

Looking to satisfy your sweet tooth? Every October, stores stock their shelves with rows and rows of delicious Halloween candy. However, if you’re looking to fit into your skimpy costume for October 31st’s Franklin Street festivities, you might want to restrict your candy consumption to more low-cal options. If you’re a chocolate-lover, try a few 3 Musketeers Minis instead of a Butterfinger. With half the calories and fat, the Musketeers have a lighter and airier filling, as well as a smaller impact on your physique. If you prefer fruity candies, choose a fun-sized box of Lemonheads over a stick of Starbursts. The fat-free, tart lemon sweets contain one-fourth the amount of calories of the fruit chews and take a lot longer to devour.   

If you’re craving some homemade pumpkin pie, try Lauren Conrad’s Pumpkin Spice Lala-Latte. A slice of pumpkin pie even without a whipped cream topping or scoop of vanilla ice cream can cost you 320 calories and 17 grams of fat. A warm seasonal drink serves as a healthier and equally satisfying option. However, be careful not to curb your craving with any old store-bought steamed beverage—a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks contains just as many (if not more!) calories as a sliver of your favorite baked good. LC’s homemade latte is not only tempting and delicious, but also better for you and easy to make!

Are you dying for a state fair caramel apple? Although there is a great source of fiber and vitamins under the layers of sugary-sweet coating, this seasonal treat is deceptively dangerous. A chocolate caramel apple with a sprinkling of toffee bits can cost you over 700 calories! Instead of spoiling your diet on this overindulgent snack, opt for apple slices served with a light caramel dipping sauce. McDonald’s offers Apple Dippers with a side of low-cal caramel dip for just around 100 calories.

Finally, on a brisk autumn day, nothing is more satisfying than a warm bowl of hearty chili.  Quizno’s offers Bread Bowl Chili, costing customers a whopping 760 calories and 23 grams of fat. As savory as this meat dish is, you will wish that you has passed it up when you start peeling off your clothing layers next spring. Instead, head over to Wendy’s for a 220-cal version. Also, opt for a dollop of fat-free sour cream as opposed to cheese or cracker toppings. This healthy alternative is just as substantial, and will be just as enticing when the weather starts to cool off.

Happy Fall and Bon Appetit, Collegiates!

Sources:
Halloween Candy (photo): The Fashionable Housewife, http://www.thefashionablehousewife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/HalloweenCandy.jpg
Pumpkin Spice Lala-Latte (photo): Chocolate Covered Katie, http://www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Pu_772E/pumpkin-spice-latte_4.jpg
Apple Slices with Caramel Dip (photo): Closet cooking, http://www.closetcooking.com/2008/11/caramel-sauce.html

Sophomore, PR major at UNC