nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

#GrowingUp: Senior Year Means Goodbyes, Good Times, And A World Of Opportunities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Growing up is scary ⁠— and in that sense, so is senior year (of college, no less). 

Senior year of college, at least for me, has come all too fast. Looking back, a small part of me is finding all sorts of things to be concerned about. Did I join enough clubs? Did I build a strong enough resume? Did I make enough life-long friends (and will things still be the same after graduation)? In short, I have found pretty much everything under the sun to worry about ⁠— and if you’re feeling similarly, please know you haven’t lost your mind.

Growing up is full of questions, and that’s okay.

Senior year means goodbyes. It means saying goodbye to the structure of college life and the freedom that it brings all at the same time. It means saying goodbye to a certain sense of freedom and saying hello to another. It means saying goodbye to some friends but saying “see you soon” to others. It doesn’t mean something is ending, but rather it means that something new is beginning.

Senior year doesn’t have to be full of questions and struggles to say goodbye ⁠— it has so much more to offer. It means good times with good friends. It means doing all of those things that you haven’t done but always wanted to while you were in college and had the chance. It means making the most of this magical point in your life. It means recognizing that the answer to all of those questions I listed, to begin with, is yes. It means realizing that you’re doing the best you can, and you’re doing a ⁠great job

Senior year means making the most of this time, and it means looking forward to the new times to come. It means recognizing the world of opportunities right at your fingertips. It means looking forward to those times.

Senior year can be scary, but it can also be magical ⁠— and this senior year, I’m going to make the most of it.

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.