photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

#Gratitude: 5 Trader Joe’s Solid Sides for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Sometimes, I forget that I’m an adult, and I’m actually expected to bring something to Thanksgiving dinner. That’s why I’m so grateful to have Trader Joe’s nearby. They have such a varying selection that you’re sure to find something for everyone (and it won’t break the bank, either). Here are five sides and desserts that will have everyone singing your praises until Christmas!

1. Dark Chocolate Covered Marshmallows

To be honest, I’m not much of a raw marshmallow connoisseur (I prefer mine roasted). But when it comes to this little pink box of goodness, I can’t resist! Perfect for the dessert table, these fluffy treats are sure to be gone before the cousins start making their doggy bags.

2. Cranberry Orange Relish

I know, I know. Cranberry sauce is a tradition. But who really likes it? This relish is a great way to have traditional cranberry represented on the table that the family will actually want to eat. The orange adds some zest and acidity to the sweetness of the cranberry, lifting the turkey to new heights.

3. A Complete Salad – Baby Spinach with Cranberries, Candied Pecans, Miner’s Blue Cheese and Raspberry Vinaigrette

Salads are a great way to lighten up a heavy Thanksgiving dinner, but who has the time (or money) to go out and buy all the ingredients? Trader Joe’s salad mix has all the fixings of a gourmet salad without breaking the bank. Depending on the size of your family, you might want to buy two packages. Wait until you get to your Thanksgiving destination; then, you just rip, toss and serve. I guess some things in life are easy.

4. Cranberry Chevre Fresh Goat Cheese with Raisin Rosemary Crisps

Cheese and crackers are a favorite pre-dinner treat in my family, and goat cheese is a great alternative for those who are lactose intolerant. The rosemary crisps complement the cheese’s soft, crumbly texture. It’s a great way to start off the meal with a bang to your taste buds.

5. Pumpkin Ginger Hold the Cone!

Another holiday tradition that isn’t particularly loved at my house is pumpkin pie. Don’t want to give up on pumpkin all together? There’s still hope. Ice cream, anyone? The mini pumpkin ginger ice cream cones are perfect to keep the holiday tradition alive, and this way, you might actually enjoy it. At a price of $2.99, what do you have to lose? 

Jamison McLean

Chapel Hill '20

Jamison is currently a Junior at UNC Chapel Hill, studying both English/Comparative Literature with a concentration in Creative Writing and Communications with a concentration in Media & Technology Studies and Production. She is also an award-winning poet and short story novelist for her works "This" and "The Ladies of Catville," which were featured in "Writer's Digest" magazine. Apart from writing, her current (and maybe forever) obsessions are Bill Murray, boba, the color pink, "The Great British Baking Show," & Oxford commas.