The Freshman Fifteen: Tips to Adjusting to Life On Your Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As you waved goodbye to your parents the day they dropped you off, your entire first year on your own was ahead of you. You were excited, anxious, ready to meet new people, and possibly a little overwhelmed. Questions circled your mind: how do I get involved? What do I do? Where do I go? Who do I talk to? Take a step back and let these fifteen ideas tempt you, instead of packing on the ominous pounds.

1. Join a club

Whether it’s conserving the environment or you just really like to knit, I can guarantee there is a club out there for you! Check out your school’s websites and Facebook pages for information, ask around and look for flyers. If you can think of it, the club probably exists. Just on my hall alone I know people involved with anything from Young Republicans, to Relay for Life, to Ultimate Frisbee. Joining a club is an awesome way to get to know people.You start to become pretty comfortable with the people you previously knew and those you live with, so why not branch out a little? And the best part about a club is everyone there is just as interested in your passion! So grab those knitting needles or soccer ball and get to it.

2. See a concert

I know not every college or university is located in a big city with amphitheatres and auditoriums hosting big name artists, but that doesn’t mean music is not located right on your campus. If you have the opportunity, though, by all means find a ticket and a ride and go see Luke Bryan live! Chances are a lot of other people from your school will be going as well and it’s just a fun event to go to while you adjust to college life. If you can’t quite make it to the city, keep your eyes and ears open for music around campus. One of my first weeks here at UNC, I attended a concert with some friends performed by the a cappella groups of our school. It was really neat to see such a large part of the school come out and enjoy the music.

3. Cheer on your team

I am lucky to attend a school with a huge athletic program, with Saturday football games and a basketball season to look forward to. Not every college is of the same size, but there are a ton of other sports on campus to check out! The athletes on the teams are just like you: studying for a career, and they just happen to be playing the sport they love at the same time. So, go cheer them on, they’re your classmates! Check your school’s website for a schedule, get a group together, and make your way to a soccer or volleyball game. Those sports are just as important and in need of school spirit as the more noticed teams. Wear your school’s colors and have some spirit!

4. Find a tradition

A lot of schools have traditions that have been practiced for years before. It could be anything from singing the school song at the end of every sporting event, to doing something ritualistically on the first day of classes. On my first official day of class at UNC, I drank from the Old Well at sunrise for good luck on my first college semester (hey, it can’t hurt, right?). It was a small action, but knowing so many people had done it before me, and so many will continue to do it after me, felt a little special. Find what makes your campus so unique in tradition and join in, you won’t regret it!

5. Find a study spot

Okay, we can’t avoid the actual scholastic side to college. The social life is endless and always on the go, but you have to take some time out for academics. Personally, if I try and study in my dorm room I either end up doing one of three things: eat, sleep, or watch TV (sometimes all three happen). Try and avoid the dorm room at all costs when you need to be productive. In this case, find a place to study. For your first few weeks, get a feel for the places you feel most comfortable: can you study with noise? Does it have to be completely silent? The library is always a key go-to place to hit the books and get down to business. Perhaps sitting in the grass of your campus quad is a good balance of working on a tan and catching up on lecture readings. For certain classes, get a group together and share notes and opinions. Make your study spot consistent so you know that when you’re there, you’re there for one reason: to study. Wherever and whatever your preference, find a place you can relax, focus, and get some work done so you make time for fun!

6. Stay healthy, stay happy

I know with so much time in between or after classes, sometimes it’s a little overwhelming to manage your “free” time (it’s never really free). So when you find a minute where you’re not rushing to a meeting or cramming for an exam, make time for yourself. Go for a walk around campus or town, take a bike ride, go to the gym if that’s your thing. You can do all of this alone or with a friend who wants to stay fit as well, maybe you can even just hit a few tennis balls around for a while. For me, fresh air or a workout can always clear my mind and my nerves. And not to mention, when all you’re eating is dining hall food or the junk food grandma sent you in that care package, you’re not trying to let the extra starch, fat, and sugar stick around.

Feeling healthy and relaxed can potentially relieve some stress and clear your plate to focus on a paper, exam, and have a positive outlook on everything coming your way!

7. Go to class

Someone has to say it. Really…go to class! I know that 9:30 a.m. lecture does not seem ideal in anyway after you’ve stayed up writing a paper all night (that you put off for two weeks). But when it comes down to the midterm and final, you’re going to feel a lot better when you have those notes on minerals than you would not having them. You can take the afternoon or weekend to catch up on sleep, but you can’t catch up on a lecture you didn’t even attend. Set an alarm (or five), throw on some clothes, and get to class. I know some professors post their lectures online and hold office hours, but what if something is mentioned in class that you miss? What if there is a pop quiz and you receive a zero because you didn’t make it to class? You will feel a lot better about yourself and your progress in the class if you are actively making an effort to abide by your schedule. Furthermore, your professors don’t just show up to a lecture hall to talk to a wall. This is their job, so respect them and their willingness to make that 8 a.m. just like you!

8. Be social

It’s part of the experience. Even if you never make it back to another party again, just going to one your first few weeks at college can be beneficial. You don’t have to drink or even stay for very long at all. Whether it’s a fraternity or a bar downtown, grab a group of friends and make an outing! You’ll meet a lot of new people and the chances of you seeing someone from class are rather high. Of course, it is important to balance your lifestyle and that means if you have an 8 AM exam on Friday morning, it is best to stay in the night before. But there’s no harm in rewarding yourself on the weekend and heading out with your girlfriends. Plus, we all have that one perfect top that’s hanging in our closets waiting to be used!

9. Stay organized

Some of you might be like me and somehow managed to schedule four classes on one day. And you are now in a case of having absolutely no time to even think on your way from one building to the next. A (small) solution to these problems is simple: organization. Everyone is different when it comes to keeping work and notes in order. I have a friend who color codes notes depending on what day it is…I can firmly say I do not do that. And that’s okay, because I have my own system. Find a way to keep your classes in order, whether it be by notebook, file, or Word document. It’s key to be able to locate what you want, when you need it, and not search through countless random notebooks with no specific use. So when it comes time for an exam or paper, you know exactly where your Ancient Greece notes are, and exactly where the lecture for political science is located. It saves time and stress, so get organized, and stay organized!

10. Be open to new ideas

College is a place of new things and diversity. You’re going to meet people who come from completely different lifestyles than your own. The most important thing to keep in mind is to remain respectful and open. Lifestyle and background aside, opinions are not always going to mesh well. Some people believe what they believe and that’s just the way they see it, and they might not even care about what you have to say. It’s important to stay open to those ideas that differ from your own, life will be a lot easier!

11. Stay in touch

Being at college the first few weeks is a whirlwind of exciting new things to do and people to meet. And next thing you know you’re taking midterms and you may or may not have found the time to remain in touch with people back home. Family and close friends are just as important as your new life on your own. They are still the people who know you best and will be there when you need a helping hand or just want to talk! College can be a bit emotionally exhausting and it’s important to hold on to a few ties that can be there when you need them.

12. Stay rested

This goes right on up there with staying healthy. Of course you’re going to have those nights where studying takes you right into the next day. But if possible, try and keep a schedule. Know when you are going to sleep and when you are going to study or work. Remaining rested and relaxed will give you a better chance of finding time to do everything you want to from school work to social life. Not to mention you are more likely to stay away from the cold almost every student comes down with in the first few weeks. Yes, it’s okay to get some sleep!

13. Make new friends

Meeting new people can be fun, and a little nerve wracking. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that everyone is feeling the exact same way! Of course there are a lot of people who come into college already knowing a good deal of students on campus, you may be one of them. And it’s always nice to be comfortable with those you already know. However, keep in mind that there are people who really don’t know anyone and are looking to start fresh. For your first few weeks, introduce yourself, be friendly, ask questions about hometowns and interests. You never know who you may meet, they might be your best friend or bridesmaid! Get out there and find your group.

14. Stay positive

There really is nothing worse than a Negative Nancy, especially when all anyone is trying to do is keep their head above water. College is a big adjustment. I know when I received my first midterm grade, I was shocked at how “poorly” I thought I did. However, I found out that I was right in the class average. It wasn’t that I had not studied (I spent hours in the library), college is just a different ball game. Work is heavier, thinking is more difficult, and time is limited. So don’t let the stress keep you down and keep persevering!

And finally…

15. Don’t be afraid!
When it comes right down to it, you just have to give it your all! Find a balance, a routine, a good group of friends and just get involved. Try things that are a little out of your comfort zone. Maybe joining that knitting club won’t exactly be your thing, and you aren’t going to become best friends with everyone you meet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have an amazing experience on your own!

Sara Ingraham is a junior at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where she is pursuing a Political Science and English double major. She is a Kappa Kappa Gamma. She represents the Panhellenic Community as the Vice President of Special Events. Her free time is full of running, tennis, hiking, fashion, and traveling. Sara has lived all over the country, but has a love for the East Coast. Any afternoon with "When Harry Met Sally" and a good book is an afternoon well spent.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.