Four Blogs to Suit Your Fashion Personality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Fashion blogs completely revolutionized the fashion industry. They allow anyone with a computer to post his or her fashion opinion, what he or she is wearing, what other people are wearing and what you should wear. However, as with everything else worth having in life, a successful fashion blog takes a great amount of work and dedication. Once blogs gain popularity, they have the power to transform the creator into an idol in the fashion industry. There are enough fashion blogs to suit every fashionista’s needs whether you are the casual consumer or the completely obsessed shopper. Collegiettes often use fashion blogs as a quick escape from studying and campus fashion, venturing into the world of high fashion. Her Campus UNC put together a list below of blogs to suit different fashion personalities. Bookmark your favorites and plan for your next sweet escape.

For the Domestic Goddess
P.S. – I made this… is an awesome blog made up of strictly fashion do-it-yourself projects. The website is based on the creator, Erica Domesek, and her motto of “I see it. I like it. I make it.” Each blog post consists of an inspiration board for the project followed by a single image and a step-by-step guide on how to make a fashion item. The projects range from handbags to earrings to repurposed t-shirts; they are all made using cheap items you can find at local craft stores or around the house (or dorm room, for us Collegiettes). The DIY projects are inspired by runway looks ranging from Proenza Schouler to Oscar de la Renta. There is a project for every girl’s style, from eclectic to classic. Domesek also released a book in 2010, titled after her blog, which features some of her most popular DIY projects!

For the Sassy Sarcastic
Leandra Medine’s blog has something most other fashion blogs lack–a sense of humor. The Man Repeller is a blog that depicts Medine in her favorite outfits making the fashion-obsessed women swoon (silk turbans, anyone?), while simultaneously leaving our male counterparts scratching their heads. The blog has bite and wit, as Medine isn’t afraid to make fun of herself. At the same time, you can tell she knows a great deal about fashion. Her blog isn’t exactly college-budget friendly, considering Medine sports high-end designers like Miu Miu, Chanel and Alexander McQueen in all of her posts. However, that doesn’t stop it from being a great source for humor and inspiration if you ever want to try man-repelling for yourself. However, this is UNC, so maybe we shouldn’t actively try to repel men; it’s every girl for herself out there.

For the Lover of Labels
Style.com is a comprehensive fashion website linked to Condé Nast, the publishing company responsible for Vogue, Teen Vogue, Glamour, Lucky, W and Allure. Therefore, you can be pretty sure that this website is the definitive, end-all, be-all for die-hard fashion followers. The website is great for viewing around fashion week because it is constantly updated with photos from the latest runway shows. It’s the simplest way to stay in the loop with latest trends and even has a section for fashion’s most glamorous parties and celebrities. Essentially, this site allows you to live vicariously through Anna Wintour. The site also has a beauty section with one of my favorite features, the “beauty essentials” page, in which a celebrity puts together a photo gallery of her favorite beauty items. Did you know Eva Mendes absolutely hates wearing lip gloss? Well, now you know.

For the Admirer of Art
Street style has absolutely blown up the fashion scene within the last few years,  giving rise to blogs dedicated to photos taken at random of unsuspecting citizens with great street style. These blogs provide inspiration for daily outfits, especially for layering fall and winter looks. Among the most popular street style photography blogs are The Sartorialist and Garancé Dore. The blogs feature photographs of urbanites in the most stylish world cities like New York, Paris and Milan. The photographers for these blogs, Scott Schuman and Garancé Dore, have now become major players in both the photography and fashion worlds, conducting photo shoots for major magazines and designers. If you’re looking for ideas for looks to wear to class, spend some time browsing street style posts. You’re sure to find some awesome ideas.

Fashion blogs are a great resource for sparking creativity. Following these blogs may even give you the inspiration to start your own fashion blog! However, while starting a blog is fun, keep in mind it also takes a lot of work and time for it to garner any attention. If you have a personal fashion blog and you would like to share with other Collegiettes, we would LOVE to see it! Post your blog link in the comments below!

Sources:
DIY tassle instructions (photo) : Erica Domesek, http://psimadethis.com/
DIY inspiration board (photo): Erica Domesek, http://psimadethis.com/
Leandra Medine jumping (photo): Leandra Medine, http://www.manrepeller.com/search?updated-max=2011-11-16T14:12:00-08:00&max-results=2&reverse-paginate=true
Style.com screenshot (photo): Style.com, www.style.com
Street Style Girl (photo): Scott Schuman, http://www.thesartorialist.com/page/5/