The Evolution of a New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Now that we’re two weeks out, it is the beginning of the end for most New Year’s resolutions. Over the years it is a common occurrence that after only one week 29% of people drop their New Year’s Resolution. That number grows to 36% after another week passes. This number keeps growing until only 8-10% of people reach their New Year’s Resolution. Why does this happen though? What goes through our minds during these first two weeks as our resolution slowly fades away until it’s completely, utterly gone?

New Year’s Day:

It’s finally a new year! I am going to change everything and it will be perfect! I’m going to get enough sleep! I’m going to eat healthy! I’m going to have an amazing social life! I’m going to get good grades! Everything in my life is coming together!

The Next Day:

I am doing amazing! I got this! Nothing can stand in my way! Why do people even give up on their resolutions? This is easy.Hump Day:

People always say third day is the hardest. I can do it! If I just make it past this day, it will get better. The struggle will be worth it.

The First Week Comes to an End:

What?! It’s only been a week! No… I can do this. I just need to keep a positive attitude about this.Second Week Begins:

I’m not going to be one of those people who gives in and quits. It’s going to be different than last year. Just keep going. Push forward.During the Second Week:

I kind of have a lot to do today… maybe I’ll do it later.And Then:

Oh no, is it that the time already?! Well, time for bed! I’ll start up with my resolution again tomorrow.End of the Second Week:

Oh well… I gave it my all. Next year will be different.

Sarah Johnson

Chapel Hill

Sarah Johnson is a Sophomore at UNC - Chapel Hill. Originally from Minnesota, Sarah decided to transfer after her Freshman year to UNC - Chapel Hill. She enjoys eating ice cream, playing most sports,and watching football. On top of that when she isn't writing articles, Sarah enjoys writing different scripts and stories. If she isn't behind the scenes, she is in front. With a double major in Dramatic Arts and English, Sarah enjoys creating stories or performing one.