The DO’s and DON’Ts of Navigating Your First Frat Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

DO:

1.       Bring a friend

It’s always a good idea to have someone with you to make sure you get home safely, and to take care of you if you accidentally drink too much. Friends are also very helpful in case you need them to play wingwoman, or to run interference if you are getting too much attention from a creepy guy.

2.       Wear a cute outfit

You will have more confidence if you look hot, and most people in Chapel Hill tend to dress up for going out to bars and parties. You don’t have to wear a super tight dress if that makes you feel uncomfortable, but a cute top and some statement jewelry will definitely do the trick.

3.       Charge your phone before you go out, and download the NextBus app

This is especially important in case you lose track your friends and you need to get home after the party. You can check NextBus on your phone to see when the P2P is coming, and catch it on Franklin Street or Frat Court to get back to your dorm. Taking the bus is much safer (and easier on your high-heeled feet) than walking home alone.

4.       Invest in a small cross-body bag or wristlet

It is incredibly easy to lose your wallet/keys/phone at a party if you are just carrying them around (believe me, I have spent many mornings on scavenger hunts for my lost items). Keeping your ID, a little bit of money, your phone, and condoms (safety first!)  in the smallest purse you can bring is the best way to keep track of everything. The smaller the bag the better, so you can still dance or play beer pong with it on your wrist or around your shoulders without it getting in the way.

5.       Keep an eye on your cup

I am sure your parents have already warned you about keeping track of your drink, but this is really important.  It is possible for people to slip date-rape drugs into your drink when you aren’t watching. Although it is rare at UNC, there have been instances where girls have been drugged at parties. It is better to be safe than to wake up in a strange place with no recollection of the previous night.

DON’T:

1.       Drink too many cups of PJ.

“PJ” is short for “Party Juice,” (they call it “Jungle Juice” up North) and it is what most Fraternities serve at their parties. It is usually a mixture of some type of Koolaid or juice and A LOT of cheap alcohol. Sometimes the flavor of the Koolaid can mask the taste of alcohol, so it makes it hard to tell just how strong your drink is. Play it safe and start off with only one cup. It can sneak up on you really fast, and you definitely don’t want to be the girl vomiting in the bushes.

2.       Wear uncomfortable heels

Frat parties usually involve a lot of dancing, which can be really difficult if your high heels are rubbing a thousand blisters on your feet. A good rule of thumb is to keep your heels 4 inches or below, and wear wedges whenever possible.  Heels are also not mandatory, so feel free to wear a cute pair of flats or sandals instead.

3.       Feel obligated to dance or hook up with a guy

Sometimes you will be approached by a guy on the dance floor that you just aren’t interested in. Don’t be scared to politely turn him down. If you don’t want to hurt his feelings, try grabbing one of your friends and dancing with her, or pretend you didn’t hear him ask you, and just dance off in the opposite direction. The same goes for a guy that is trying to get you to go upstairs or leave the party with him—if you aren’t interested or it makes you feel uncomfortable, say no! There is no shame in being selective.

4.       Let a guy grope you on the dance floor

Overly aggressive (or intoxicated) guys may attempt to get handsy when they are dancing with you. Keep your dignity intact and don’t let them get away with it. Feel free to move his hands to a more appropriate location, or if that doesn’t work just go ahead and give his hands a little smack. If you like the guy and are interested in hooking up with him, then suggest that you go somewhere private so that other people at the party aren’t watching you get down and dirty.

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.