The Craft of Entrepreneurship: Artwear by Natis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As a first-year, one of the things I find interesting about UNC is the strong sense of independence and entrepreneurial spirit that exists on campus. UNC students are excited and passionate about their professional endeavors, even as undergraduates. I enjoy learning about what my peers are interested in and supporting them. In just one semester, I have been constantly inspired and encouraged by students who have chosen to pursue their interests as entrepreneurs.

I have always wondered what it would be like to be an entrepreneur. Even now, I imagine what it would be like to have people enjoy and appreciate something that I created. Just the sound of the word gave me visions of bold, independent and successful individuals; but, there always seemed to be a gap between my perception and reality. I had seen very successful business women, but not many female entrepreneurs.

However, first-year UNC student, Natalia Gonzalez Chavez knows firsthand what it’s like to be an entrepreneur. As owner and designer of Artwear by Natis, she produces beautifully handcrafted jewelry. Earrings, bracelets, necklaces or rings are created using quality materials (sterling silver, Swarovski crystals, feathers, glass, etc.). Gonzalez Chavez has been designing and crafting jewelry for almost 10 years, earning recognition as the 2011 Young Entrepreneur Award Winner for the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB).

My discovery of Artwear by Natis followed the rush of friend requests and friendly messages from UNC’s newest Tar Heels. I enjoyed seeing what my new classmates had been involved in during high school and I loved knowing that my peers were ambitious, intelligent and diversely talented. Gonzalez Chavez emphasizes that there are two sides to her craft: “art” and “wear.” These words serve not only as the business name, but also provide insight to the complexities of crafting jewelry. Gonzalez Chavez stresses that while jewelry is for accessory, its crafting takes place as a unique art form.

Gonzalez Chavez represents a growing presence of female entrepreneurs within all industries. These young ladies are redefining the way that business is done by using their talents to provide unique and innovative products and solutions. Many of these young women are off to an early start, developing their businesses as students. For example, Her Campus founders Windsor Hanger, Stephanie Kaplan and Annie Wang got their start as undergraduates at Harvard University; now having developed one of the best publications for young women in the country.

Whatever your professional interests may be, do not be afraid to get a head start. College offers the best opportunities for young people to gain hands-on experience in any almost any field. Take advantage of internships, organizations and academic programs that could help to give you a leg up on the competition. Start your entrepreneurial journey today.

For more information on Artwear by Natis, check out http://www.artwearbynatis.com/. Browse new fall designs and support a fellow Tar Heel! Pieces may be purchased at locations in both the Raleigh and Cary area, or from the website.

Pieces:
Golden Striped Brown Feather Earrings, $12.00; http://www.artwearbynatis.com/
Black and Grey Wire-Wrapped Dream Catcher necklace, $15.00;http://www.artwearbynatis.com/