The Collegiette’s Quick Guide to Planning a Themed Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Have you mastered the art of the college social life staple, the themed party? Many of us have attended some kind of themed event at Chapel Hill at some point in time, and you don’t necessarily need to be attending a Greek event or a house party in order to do so. Student organizations have themed nights at venues like Player’s (Jersey Shore anyone?) and Club Pulse; it’s also possible to plan a themed night out at a restaurant or bar with some friends for a number of occasions. Planning themed parties is also surprisingly easy because the success of the party depends on your guests’ participation! The party planner doesn’t have to worry (as much) about the choice of decorations or food for the event. With that being said, the key to planning and hosting a successful themed party is simply to have a good theme (one which will excite all of your guests)! Here is a quick guide to three basic types of themes for your next party.

1.
Opposites
Examples: Young Money vs. Old Money, Athletes vs. Mathletes, Heaven and Hell

Description: This type of themed party is a creative way to still give your guests some degree of choice in what they should wear and almost always guarantees a wide variety of outfits in which people will attend. The great part about this theme is that you can choose the theme according to how much you want your guests to dress up or dress down. Opposite themed parties can also be matched to different holidays and occasions (example: Athletes vs. Mathletes right before finals time rolls around), so it might be easier to get your guests excited for the theme.

Outfit tip! Remember that accessories are a themed party essential. Give your guests some examples of basic, inexpensive accessories that will fit your theme — such as glasses for Athletes vs. Mathletes or gold chains for Young Money vs. Old Money — so no one is completely put off by what they should wear to your event.

2. Sophistication
Examples: Black and White Cocktail, Late Night at the Office, Viva Las Vegas, Hollywood Red Carpet, Roaring 20s, Masquerade Ball

Description: This type of theme can be used for something as simple as a dinner or happy hour with friends after a long week of papers, projects and meetings. This also happens to be one of the most photogenic types of themes. (I mean, who doesn’t look good all dressed up?) The great part about this theme is that most people will already have an outfit for it to some extent (from internship interviews and professional events that many college students routinely attend), so you’ll get more guests willing to dress up for the party.

Outfit tip! Note that you can wear the wardrobe staple, the little black dress, for all of the above events. Just make sure you pair it with the right pair of shoes (or any other accessories for that matter) as well as hair and makeup that will help you stay chic, while  pulling off the theme effortlessly.

3. Scandalous
Examples: Rubik’s Cube, Mardi Gras, ABC, Foam, Toga

Description: Anything But Clothes (ABC) is probably one of the most popular themes for college parties. Alongside that, a toga party is one of the easiest themed events to throw last minute. With scandalous themes such as these, you are risking not having as many people dress up for your theme, so make sure you throw it for the right occasion and at the right time of the year. (I personally would not enjoy running around in a toga or trash bag dress in the dead middle of winter.)

Outfit tip! Get creative. With a theme like this, most guests will dress to get noticed so try to find unique ways to execute the theme that no one else can pull off but you. Have fun with it and make it your own!

Sources:
Theme 1 (photo): Nancy Torres
Theme 2 (photo): Nancy Torres
Theme 3 (photo): Detroit.metromix.com, http://detroit.metromix.com/bars-and-clubs/photogallery/party-pics-anything-but/508035/photo/508400

Sophomore, PR major at UNC