A Collegiette’s Guide to Throwing the Ultimate Super Bowl Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s time again for the greatest television event of the year: the Super Bowl! Whether your favorite team is actually playing, you’re only watching to see the commercials or you’re dying to see this year’s Beyoncé halftime show, everyone loves going to a great Super Bowl party. So if you plan on being the hostess this Super Bowl Sunday, follow our ultimate party-throwing guide to ensure your guests have the best game-watching experience possible.

Food & Drinks

The theme of your Super Bowl menu should be simple. This means that you should focus on finger foods that are easy to eat. Some popular options are usually wings, chips and dip and pizza. Set up a buffet table so that guests can eat whenever they want and so that they can replenish throughout the game. And of course, keep plenty of napkins on hand.

You’re going to want to have both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. For the alcoholic drinks, nothing is easier and screams football more than lots of ice, cold beer. But if you want to get a little fancy, try whipping up a fun, festive cocktail for people to enjoy. Make sure you also stock up on soda for those who don’t drink. Scatter a few coolers around the sitting area so guests have access. And don’t forget to get plenty of ice!

Decorations

Decorations are optional, but can also be really fun. Depending on who’s playing, pick up some streamers and banners that are color coordinated with your team’s colors. You can also get football-shaped balloons or inflatable footballs to scatter around the room. You can even go as far as to coordinate the colors of the plates, cups and utensils with those of the team you’re rooting for.

Guests

Super Bowl parties tend to get better the rowdier they are, so don’t skimp on the guest list. Invite everyone you can think of that would want to watch the game (as long as they’ll all fit in your living room, that is!). Tell people to come dressed in their team’s colors and be ready to yell at the TV whenever possible.

Seating

Seating is another incredibly important aspect of the party. You want to make sure you have enough places to sit that are both comfortable and near the TV. Nobody is going to want to be stuck in the back having to lean around others to get a glance at what’s happening. If you don’t have enough, make sure you ask friends to bring some folding chairs with them. You can also spread some blankets and pillows out on the floor in front of the TV for a more relaxed environment.

Have more Super Bowl Sunday party ideas? Sound off with a comment below!  

Sources:
http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2012916/reg_1024.Beyonce.TwitPic.mh.101612.jpg
http://www.finecooking.com/flash/home/images/swf_SuperBowlRecipes-04.jpg

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.
Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!