Girl Reading A Book In Bed
Girl Reading A Book In Bed
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

The College Girl’s Guide to Shojo Manga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Now that we’re in quarantine and the semester is almost over, I’ve had a lot more free time, despite my brain power being almost completely dedicated to final papers. With all this free time, I’ve found myself yearning to finish a book, but not having the motivation to read all those words—classes have been exhausting enough. Lo and behold, I’ve revisited an old love of mine, shojo manga. Lucky for you, I’m going to give you the low-down on everything you need to know about it and how to discover your new OTP.

What Exactly is Shojo Manga?

Shojo manga is a genre of manga that’s usually aimed at teenage girls. While we might be a bit older than that now, it’s nice to go back to something familiar. Shojo manga usually follows teens in high school and their love lives. Sure, it sounds simple, but once you dive into the genre, you’ll see there’s a lot to explore!

Some Stellar Recommendations

I’m no stranger to romance, whether it’s in movies or manga. The first shojo manga I read was Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya, which is a modern classic! Follow Tohru Honda as she integrates herself into the mysterious Honda family, who turn into their zodiac animals if they are hugged by someone of the opposite sex. Another favorite? Marmalade Boy! It’s my all-time favorite shojo manga. I have no idea how many times I’ve reread the series! Years ago, I was obsessed with Mermaid Melody, and I can’t wait to revisit the series this summer. If you happen to love the manga, there might be an anime adaptation to watch as well!

Explore Your Favorite Tropes

Like any form of entertainment, manga genres have sub-genres, and your favorite tropes are sure to be represented within shojo manga! Love musicals or fantastical elements? Try Full Moon Wo Sagashite. Are you obsessed with fashion? V.B. Rose is the perfect manga for you, and the artwork is to die for. Do you like dramatic over-the-top romances (think Love Island, folks)? Peach Girl and its complex love traingles (nay, rectangles) will entertain.

Where Do I Read Manga?

Manga can be read anywhere! Many people scan their own manga copies, translate them and upload them to websites. Honestly, just search the manga you are looking for, and, odds are, it’s somewhere online. If not, try ordering the books from a local indie bookstore or thrift them; the North Carolina company biblio.com is my go-to! And, if you don’t know where to start, there are tons of recommendation lists for you to peruse. Of course, I recommend any manga mentioned in this article!

There you have it—a whole world for you to explore, as we continue to self-isolate. If you’re ever in need of some more recommendations, tweet me! Stay safe everyone!

Gennifer Eccles is an alumna at UNC Chapel Hill and the co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Chapel Hill. She studied English and Women & Gender Studies. Her dream job is to work at as an editor for a publishing house, where she can bring her two majors together to help publish diverse, authentic and angst-ridden romance novels.