#CelebratingUNC: Decoding the UNC Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

UNC students have a pretty interesting and often times specific vocabulary. Here is a sampling of my favorite terms and phrases that you are bound to hear anytime you step foot on campus.

Crossing guards 

Someone you always say thank you to. Forgetting to say thank you will make you feel like the worst person in the world who does not deserve to hear everyone’s favorite rendition of “Hold on one second!

Duke (d00k)

The Enemy. 

GDTBATH

No, not anything relating to a literal bath, this stands for Great Day to be a Tarheel!

Halloweekend 

The Saturday and Sunday before Halloween when everyone loses their minds. They call us Chapel Thrill for a reason. You go out dressed to the nines and somehow end up back in your room the next morning. Then repeat!

Late Night

UNC’s true priceless gem. Rams Dining Hall is open until midnight during the week, and suddenly you find yourself eating pizza, pancakes, and soft serve for dinner every night.

“Nah, I’m gonna go study”

A UNC student’s default response to any inquiry about hanging out, getting dinner or anything other than studying, especially during #midtermszn

NC State 

A school that we kinda care about beating but not really. However, they care about beating us…a LOT.

Pit Preacher

Everyone’s favorite source of religion on campus. He’s here to spread the gospel, stop all sinning and harass you on your way to classes. Favorite quote: “All women practice witchcraft, all women are witches!”

P2P

Party to party… wait excuse me, point to point. The shuttle system between South Campus and Franklin Street that I am forever grateful for.

Now, go into campus familiar with the lingo – converse freely with other students with confidence!  

Maddie Ellis

Chapel Hill '22

Maddie is a freshman at UNC. Ready to take on a new journalistic pursuit, she is so excited to join Her Campus. Maddie is an English major, and she is also involved in Carolina for the Kids #morale! Maddie loves classic literature, horoscopes, and her planner, and if she is not writing or reading, she can probably be found at a group fitness class or Chopt.