This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Spencer Goodson is a freshman from Jacksonville, North Carolina. Pursuing a political science major, a sister of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, and a member of the Young Republicans, Spencer is involved on campus…and always in style! In the middle of the fall season and with winter right around the corner, my sweet friend shares insight to her personal style.

HC: Describe your style, what makes it unique?

SG: My style is kind of unusual because it’s definitely a mixture of two unique elements. On one hand, I’m an All-American, nautical stripes and Tory flats girl. On the other, I love to wear grunge boots and fur vests. Overall, I would call it a preppy, classic look with a bohemian twist.

HC: What/who influences your style?

SG: To be completely honest, what other college girls wear constantly influence me— a huge part of this being my older sorority sisters. College is a time to discover your personality and fashion, and Tri Delta has definitely helped me diversify my wardrobe and explore style possibilities.

HC: Name your go-to fashion piece or accessory in any situation.

SG: I don’t really go anywhere without the David Yurman bracelet my parents gave me …it goes with everything and always reminds me of them. With the colder winter months (what the heck!) here, my everyday outwear would have to be my quilted Burberry coat. It’s really timeless.

HC: Where do you shop/what are your favorite brands?

SG: You can ALWAYS (literally…always) find me in  J. Crew, Free People, Urban Outfitters, Banana Republic, Nordstroms, Sak’s Fifth, Island Passage, Uniquities, and Charlotte’s. My key shops online are Tobi, Piperlime, and Revolve Clothing. I’m also a boutique/hidden gem gal—I love getting stuff at places that are definitely not chains. Each store contributes to my urban-preppy style that I try to mix every day.

As for specific brands, I really like Alice & Trixie, Splendid, Joe’s Jeans, Ella Moss, Milly, Trina Turk, Theory, Joie, Haute Hippie, and Mara Hoffman. They really provide unique pieces of clothing that you would not normally find elsewhere.

HC: What are some essentials you think every college girl needs?

SG: A classic navy schoolboy blazer is crucial. A great pair of boots is also key—I have a pair of brown Frye and black Tory Burch boots and I wear the daylights out of them. You can’t be without a Patagonia vest, pullover, or jacket as it is getting colder every day, Barbour is also really popular for outerwear. I think a great fur vest is a fierce attribute to throw in too; fun, cool tops to go out in (and not mind spilling PJ on) are great to have in excess!  Extra-large t-shirts, a plethora of leggings, and as many cocktail dresses as you can muster up are also college girl priorities. You can’t forget about that Carolina blue—scarves, necklaces, breezy dresses, and upbeat blouses in hoards, please!

HC: What can you never have enough of in your wardrobe: necklaces, shoes, sweaters?

SG: I’m a shoes girl—I brought 38 pairs to college with me, and I honestly try to wear all (as many as I can) of them! My favorite go-to shoes are my Bean Boots, my Tory Burch loafers and ballet flats. My Chaco’s (for warmer weather!), my many pairs of good ol’ Jack Rogers, my Frye boots, and my highlighter orange Nike running shoes are not only my favorites, but also fantastic shoe wear for anybody!

HC: You love fashion, do you have a style icon or quote to live by?

SG: How could I forget my favorite quote of all time? She may be entirely fictional, but Carrie Bradshaw speaks my mind, “I like my money right where I can see it—hanging in my closet.”

Sara Ingraham is a junior at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where she is pursuing a Political Science and English double major. She is a Kappa Kappa Gamma. She represents the Panhellenic Community as the Vice President of Special Events. Her free time is full of running, tennis, hiking, fashion, and traveling. Sara has lived all over the country, but has a love for the East Coast. Any afternoon with "When Harry Met Sally" and a good book is an afternoon well spent.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.