Campus Style: Sara Carter ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

With fall weather just around the corner, sweaters are beginning to come out of storage and styles around campus are noticeably adapting to cooler temperatures.  One thing that’s for sure no matter what the weather is like, UNC’s got style. Her Campus sat down with Sara Carter, who is a junior majoring in Advertising, to talk about fashion and what influences her own style.  

HerCampus: How would you describe your style?
Sara Carter: My style isn’t too wild – I always stock classic, comfortable pieces and pair them with accents like a beaded top or printed scarf. Lots of neutral colors and tiny details! For going out, all black. Oh, and I religiously never shop retail.

HC: What have you seen people wearing around campus that strikes you?
SC: Any college campus is so saturated with trends. I’m definitely guilty of indulging from time to time. That being said, I love to see people on campus who dress for themselves instead of everybody else. It’s a great reminder to put the Nike shorts away once in awhile.

HC: Where do you shop most?
SC: Madewell, Urban Outfitters, Goodwill, The Gap

HC: Fall is just beginning, what is your favorite thing to wear during Autumn?

SC: My go-to Fall outfit will be my new high waisted Levi’s, an oversized grandpa sweater, lace up brown boots, and a scarf. It needs to get colder already!

HC: I understand that you spent the summer in New York City working for a start-up fashion company.  Can you tell me a little about that?
SC: Gojee is a start-up company that works with emerging clothing, jewelry, handbag and furniture designers exclusively in New York City. They are a platform for up-and-coming designers to sell their fashions in a virtual upscale boutique.

My job as an intern was to write copy and manage content on the website, as well as work directly with designers to launch their online shops. I also got the chance to plan and execute Gojee’s launch party and fashion show!

HC: Did working with the company influence your own style at all?
SC: Definitely, yes! Working with upscale and luxury designers revealed to me that investing in classic and wearable items is much more important than buying 10 shirts at Forever 21 for $100. Also, I got pretty comfortable wearing all black everyday.  Though, that doesn’t make as much sense when I’m on my way to class in Chapel Hill. Oops!

HC: How does New York fashion compare to Chapel Hill fashion?
SC: In NYC, anything goes! Trends aren’t concentrated like they are at UNC. What you wear doesn’t matter as much as how you wear it. Diversity in style on the streets makes it easy to feel fabulous in whatever you’re wearing, as long as you feel good wearing it! One other thing – nobody wears Chacos in Manhattan (except me).

HC: Either or?

Sweatpants or Leggings: Leggings

Wayfarers or Aviators: Wayfarers

Tight or Oversized: Tight pants and oversized tops

Dressed up or dressed down: Dressed up

Uggs or Chacos: Chacos

Flannels or Sweaters:  BOTH!

Urban or Lilly: Urban

Summer or Fall fashion: Fall!

Handbags or shoes: shoes

Red lips or smoky eye: smoky eye

Pictures are either Sara’s own or are from
http://sartorialjunkie.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/sunny-day-florals/

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.