Campus Style: Hatley McArthur ‘16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

This week’s fashionista is 19-year-old Hatley McArthur from Charlotte, NC.  This stylish sophomore journalism major has a taste for unique pieces, and loves to create her own new trends.  She has an eye for colors and can be seen regularly sporting fun outfits on campus and around Chapel Hill.  Her fun and loving personality is visible even through her clothes, and that’s why she’s the perfect candidate for a campus style exposé!

HerCampus:  What’s your favorite accessory?Hatley McArthur:  My favorite accessory would probably be my gold and black onyx ring. I got it made using my grandfather’s old gold and I never take it off! We were really close so it means a lot to me. So I guess it’s not necessarily an accessory in the sense that a headband or bracelets would be, but something I wear as an everyday staple!

HC:  If your style could have a hashtag what would you make it?HM:  Ooh this is a hard one…partly because I like to hashtag a lot!  But, I would have to say #color. I really like wearing blacks and whites, or neutral colors but adding pops of color throughout. I try to do the same thing with patterns. I’ll wear a printed pant but with a black top and black flats.

HC:  Where’s your favorite place to shop?HM:  I don’t necessarily have one specific place that I always go to. I really like mixing it up! I have pieces from Nordstrom, Urban Outfitters, and I find things at Forever 21, too! Where I shop really depends on my mood! Switching up where I go allows me to mix and match different styles together when I’m creating an outfit. For instance, the other day I paired a Miss Sixty fringe bomber jacket with a little black dress from Forever21 and boots from Piperlime (which so good for online shopping).HC:  Do you try to stick with the trends or do you just go with your heart and do whatever you want?HM:  I usually just dress how I’m feeling! By shopping and looking through Pinterest I’m definitely aware of the trends but I try to add my own little flare to them. I try to dress in what I’m comfortable in. For example, some people love jeans. I don’t know why but I think wearing a dress or skirt is more comfortable so I’ll just do that! Specifically, I love to play with my nails and I use different paint colors and designs to make my nails an extra accessory to my outfits. Trendy or not, I think you should wear what you like and what you feel comfortable in. HC:  Have you always been so stylish?HM:  Gurrrrl oh goodness. Well, I did have a watermelon dress when I was 5 so…don’t really know about that. But, I think my style has grown and continues to change. I’m the oldest in my family so I didn’t have an older sister to look to for fashion advice, so I think that’s where I get my own style from. I think certain experiences and growing up in general have helped shape my style over the years. As I’m learning more about myself, I figure out what I like, take more risks, and find what fits me best. I’ve always been into fashion and I love looking through the spreads in Harper’s Bazaar and W magazine. My style is still changing for sure based on what I’m doing or what I’m feeling.HC: One article of clothing you couldn’t live without?HM:  A plain black shirt that’s either short or long sleeves. I can pair a long sleeve with a skirt for a dressier look or throw on some cutoffs for a casual feel. I think black is always so sleek and classic, you just can’t go wrong. HC: Do you have any fashion icons?HM:  I look to Olivia Palermo, Rachel Zoe, and Whitney Port for all things style. I love the looks they put together. I’ll look through what they’ve worn and brainstorm similar things I have in my wardrobe that I can piece together!

Kaylee Brown

Chapel Hill

Kaylee Brown is a second year, Journalism major, English minor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She watches way too much reality t.v. and can quote basically any movie ever made...something she's proud of. She has rocked a bob hairstyle since 1996. Her mom is her best friend in the entire world but she's an undeniable "Daddy's Girl". She is 100% Tarheel born and bred. She loves anything Southern, struggles with an addiction to sweet tea, and likes to write things.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.