Campus Style: Danielle Harlan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Danielle Harlan is a sophomore Biology major and Chemistry minor. Although she was born in Chicago, she currently lives in Atlanta, Georgia.  On campus, Danielle is a member of M.A.P.S. (Minority Association of Pre-Health Students) and she does community service activities through the Campus Y, such as HYPE. She is also a Buckley Public Service Scholar. In her free time, she loves to hang out with friends, try new foods, and of course, shop! If asked to describe her style in two words, Danielle would say urban sophistication.

HC: Describe your personal style.

DH: I definitely think I have a diverse personal style. Sometimes I wake up and feel very urban and laid back, but on others days I like to get dressed up in more girly – girl attire.  It really depends on the day!

HC: Who is your style icon?

DH: The fabulous Rachel Zoe of course! I love her style, mainly because she is VERY high fashion. I also like her work with Intermix and Piperlime. Her vintage – inspired clothing line is truly one of a kind! And she really is is a pioneer for so many different looks.  Not to mention, her taste in boots is incredible!

HC: What looks are you loving this fall?

DH: As far as colors for this season, I am obsessed with the neutral color spectrum, especially nude. I love tall leather boots.   I also really love cords because they are very versatile, you can dress them up or dress them down, and they come in a variety of unique colors.  One of my favorite looks is big sweaters and cargo pants because you can never go wrong with that.  And of course a signature pair of flats that go well with almost any outfit.

HC: Which fashion brands are your favorite?

DH: My first choice would have to be Zara.  I discovered Zara during the summer of 2011 when I went to Spain. The store originated in Madrid, so it was really cool to experience the fashions in their home country. As soon as I tried on the clothes, I fell in love with the way they fit me.  When I came back to the states, I realized there was a Zara in Atlanta!  Ever since then I’ve bought the majority of my clothes from there.  I also am into Madewell because they have really good denim, quality cargo pants and large sweaters.  Oh and I can’t forget Bloomingdales, whenever I need a formal gown I know that I can depend on Bloomies to help me out!  As far as online goes, I love H&M and ASOS because they have great steals for amazing prices. In Atlanta, there are a few boutiques that I really adore…Bill Hallman is one of my favorite because they have great tops and very good seasonal finds.  I also love Cherry Bomb because they have beautiful shoes and I must admit that my shoe taste is a little bit more on the trendy side!     

HC: What is the one item every girl should have in her closet?

DH: Nail polish.  Nail polish can really change an outfit, and change your mood as well.  If you are really having a bad day, and you don’t like your outfit, at least your nails can brighten your day! I am a huge fan of reds, all shades of red, but the color that is currently on my nails for this fall is “Fishnet Stockings” in the Essie collection, which is a deep, almost crimson like red.

HC: What accessory can you not live without?

DH: My black Ella Tory Burch Tote, because it is huge and I can literally put ANYTHING in it! It’s works as the perfect tote for traveling, I can put my notebooks in it for class, and it’s also works well for a shopping trip with the girls.  It is the most versatile bag that I own. I don’t know what I would do without my Ella!

HC: Any advice to future fashionistas?

DH: In the words of Yves Saint Laurent: “Fashion fades, style is forever.” Always remain true to your personal style and be fabulous!

Journalism and Mass Communications (Public Relations) and History Minor
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.