Campus Celebrity: Rachel McGirt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Hailing from Durham, NC, senior Rachel McGirt is loving life more and more everyday. You can tell from the smile she wears across her face. From the basketball court to a service event, she is always on the go. Luckily for us, she sat down with Her Campus to discuss everything from why she chose UNC to joining the women’s basketball team.

What are you involved with on campus?

On campus, I am most involved with with an organization that I co-founded called Healthy Girls Save the World and women’s basketball. I am also a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, where I do a lot of community service. Those three things consume my time. Being a student athlete takes a lot of time and determination, but I do as much as I can.

Where would you say you spend most of your time?

Carmichael Arena because of the way practice schedules are set up. We have practices two hours in the morning, one hour in the middle of the day and two more hours in the afternoon as a team.

How do you stay sane with such a crazy schedule?

The only reason I stay sane is my friends. I have a very diverse group of friends, who all really love and care about me. My sorority sisters take a lot of weight off my shoulders. They cheer me up or even run errands for me.

How would your friends describe you in three words?

My friends would describe me as caring, vibrant and ambitious. It’s always been easy for me to connect to other people by learning who they are. I’m always trying to get to know more people. The grind never stops for me.  

What made you want to transfer to UNC?

Transferring from UNC-Asheville was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever made in my life. I was there on a full scholarship, playing basketball, and making an impact on campus. It took a lot of maturity to understand that going to UNC would have such a big impact on my future, even if it was hard for me to grasp not being able to play basketball. But everything worked out how it was supposed to. Being here has been more than a blessing.

Sounds like a dream! What would you want your Heelprint to be?

I want to leave UNC & make it known that anybody can succeed here. I feel like I’m a representation of a lot of different demographics, as a transfer, African American, woman, and student athlete. Each one of these demographics has its own hardships. But we can all find ways to be successful. I want people to get that drive through me.

What are you most excited about for your senior year?

This year I’m most excited about basketball season. Since the information about the academic scandal, the Women’s Basketball team has been scrutinized. There are a lot of naysayers. I’m excited to prove people wrong and show them that Women’s Basketball still has it.

So you mentioned you co-founded Healthy Girls Save the World. Could you tell us about that?

Healthy Girls Save the World (HGSW) was founded in 2011 with my older sister Camille. We both had our share of body image and confidence issues that we passionately wanted to combat in young girls. Since 2011 it has really blossomed and grown. We are now a nationally recognized nonprofit. Through preventative health education, we aim to show middle-school aged girls that they are beautiful, too. I don’t want these young girls to go through what I went through. We focus on building a healthy mind, body, and relationships. I wish I had someone tell me that then.

What is your motto to live by?

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.” It may be cheesy, but I heard it in the movie Coach Carter. It’s on my wall and even in my locker. Whenever I start doubting myself, I think of the impact I can make on other people. You shouldn’t be afraid of what you have the ability to do.

You can keep up with Rachel on Instagram @rachel_brencye!

Kiana Murden

Chapel Hill

Kiana Murden is a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is a Journalism - Public Relations major with a cognitive science minor. She is an Orientation Leader, Carolina Fever Public Relations Director, and a member of UNC Dance Marathons Fundraising Committee. When not focusing on school or work, she is probably shopping (or wishing she was).
Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.