Campus Celebrity: John Geraghty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Looking for some new music to jam out to on your way to class? Check out UNC Chapel Hill’s own singer/songwriter John Geraghty who goes by John Patrick in the music world. John is a first-year from Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, majoring in public relations. At 18 years old, he has already had a song premiered by Karmin, sang at MetLife Stadium and recorded his own CD, which is available on iTunes.

Her Campus UNC has the scoop on this young artist and his future plans in the music industry.

Her Campus: How did you get started singing?
John Geraghty: I started singing when I was in about second grade because my sister was a singer, actress and performer. I am really close to my sister so she inspired me to get involved with local theatre and singing lessons, and that got me into local singing and competition. So I caught the bug. Now it is my passion and what I love to do.

Her Campus: How did you end up at UNC?
John Geraghty: My mom went to UNC and my sister graduated from UNC in the spring. I have grown up a Tar Heel, essentially. And I want to be a music publicist or manager for recording artists. And UNC has great business and journalism programs. Chapel Hill is very different from the New York City area, so I wanted to branch away. Plus, Carolina blue is my favorite color.

Her Campus: What is your favorite genre of music?
John Geraghty: I hate this question. I have so many favorite genres. I really like songs with expressive lyrics. It just depends on what kind of mood I’m in. I’d have to say my favorites are country and pop. I also like a lot of contemporary Christian music.

Her Campus: If you could sing with anybody who would it be?
John Geraghty: Like a duet?

Her Campus: Yes.
John Geraghty: I would say either Demi Lovato or Hunter Hayes.

Her Campus: What is your biggest musical accomplishment?
John Geraghty: Senior year of high school my original song, which is called “Carpe Diem,” was premiered at Madison Square Garden in New York for an event called Z100’s Jingle Ball. It was premiered by Karmin. It was really cool because Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson and David Guetta performed at the event. So that was probably the coolest thing I have done.

Her Campus: Where are some of the different places you have sang?
John Geraghty: Living near New York City I’ve had a lot of options. I got to sing the national anthem at MetLife Stadium where the New York Giants play. I sang at Lincoln Center at an event Bon Jovi sang at, and the Bushes were there, too. It was for a Covenant House charity event for homeless teens. And I’ve sang at Carnegie Hall, so that was really cool.

Her Campus: What are your musical plans for the future?
John: Right now my plans are school. So it’s hard to work on singing in my room. But I’ve been writing a lot of songs and hope to record them this summer.  I am trying to get my music out to record companies. I have songs on iTunes. I put together a mini album last year. It is all pop music. My new music is going be more pop, country and acoustic with real instruments. So I guess my music is maturing as I mature. In the future I see myself behind the scenes, maybe as a publicist or as an executive who discovers singers.

Her Campus: Music is a competitive business. Have you met other aspiring artists?
John Geraghty: I took vocal lessons in the city and got to meet a lot of other teen musicians. It is cool to see my friends become successful on YouTube, getting recording contracts and as finalists on The X Factor. It is really amazing to see how small a world the music scene is.

You can listen to John’s music at:
http://jpofficialmusic.com/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/breathe-ep/id479410548
https://soundcloud.com/jpofficialmusic

John Geraghty (Photo): https://soundcloud.com/jpoffic…
Album Cover (Photo): https://twitter.com/jpofficial…

Sarah Delk

Chapel Hill

Sarah Delk is a senior Journalism and Mass Communications – Editing and Graphic Design major at UNC-Chapel Hill. She is originally from Asheboro, NC, where she graduated from Southwestern Randolph High School. Sarah is a National Contributing Writer at HerCampus.com. Previously, she interned at the Carolina Union in the marketing and design department and at Progressive Business Media in the web and production departments. She loves creating illustrations, running the trails at her house and cheering on UNC-CH athletics. She is currently obsessed with teal nail polish and the book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. Sarah hopes to travel the world someday, after she becomes a famous graphic designer and illustrator.
Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!