Campus Celebrity: Evan Sherwood ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Whether he is seen walking across the quad or cheering on the Tar Heels at just about every sporting event, Evan Sherwood is a recognizable face around campus. Evan’s role as Executive Director of UNC Dance Marathon 2014-2015 earns him this week’s Campus Celebrity title! Everyone has seen DM members around campus, especially during dancer recruitment week, and Evan is no exception. His undying passion for the cause is demonstrated by wearing ridiculous costumes, dancing in the pit, and spending countless hours in the DM office. Why? FTK. For The Kids.

Her Campus: What influenced you to become the new UNC Dance Marathon Executive Director?

Evan Sherwood: Throughout my time at UNC, my passion for Dance Marathon has grown immensely. I could not be any more devoted to a cause than I am to this one, and the role of Executive Director allows me to play an even bigger role in making an influence in the children’s lives at the N.C. Children’s Hospital. I have had the opportunity to collaborate with amazing people, friends, and team members, and once I saw that they supported me in filling this role for next year, I couldn’t say no. I am extremely excited!

HC: If you absolutely had to choose, what is your favorite part of Dance Marathon?

ES: I am amazed by the collaboration of the students. From the executive board to the committee members and dancers, everyone is fighting for the same cause. It’s nice to see how one great cause can connect such a variety of people on all different levels. Seeing everyone unite FTK is definitely my favorite part.

HC: What are your plans to further develop Dance Marathon next year?

ES: Dance marathon surpasses our expectations every year, and next year I hope we are able to do the same. A main goal of mine is to strive towards a better dancer retention rate. I want the DM team to be able to communicate the purpose of the marathon and what the marathon actually entails. Most importantly, I want the dancers to look forward to the marathon because it really is a great experience that raises money for an amazing cause.\

HC: Now here’s a serious question. After long hours in the Dance Marathon office, what is the executive board’s favorite place to go on Franklin Street?

ES: YOPO. Definitely YOPO.

HC: How has UNC Dance Marathon influenced your past three years at Carolina?

ES: Well, it has definitely taken up a lot of time as I have become more involved. No more time for other extracurriculars! (Laughs.) Just kidding. Really though, it has allowed me to leave my heelprint at UNC and has given me more than I could ever give back. I have gained some of my best friends, been able to contribute towards an amazing cause, and most importantly, I have grown so much as not only an individual but as a Tar Heel. I love DM.

HC: Since you are following in many other Executive Directors’ footsteps, what legacy do you want to leave once you graduate next year?

ES: I just hope that I can leave a legacy that encourages students who are passionate about DM to get connected to the cause and know the capabilities of this great organization. I want to be able to encourage and push everyone to be the best they can be, from my committee members to every single dancer at DM.

HC: You already have a role for senior year, which means it’s time to talk about graduation. I know, a touchy subject. What are your post-graduation plans?

ES: Oh gosh, don’t bring it up! I am probably going to cry every day next year because I am so not ready to graduate. Well, not really, but it’s crazy to think that I will be a senior. I do not have exact plans yet, but I am pretty sure I want to attend graduate school in Sports Management after a year or two in the real world. We’ll see where I end up, but for now, I’m going to pretend like graduation is far, far away.

The mission of UNC Dance Marathon is to overcome childhood illness by providing major support for the medical, surgical and emotional care of the patients and families served by North Carolina Children’s Hospital. The 2014 UNC Dance Marathon raised $550, 595.87, passing the half-million mark for the first time in UNC-DM History!

Lily Broming

Chapel Hill

Lily Broming is currently a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Economics and minoring in both Music and Social and Economic Justice. Though she is an economics student, she has always had a passion for writing and decided to dip her feet in the water by joining the UNC HC team in Spring 2014. Lily interned with Schwalb Public Relations and realized that writing might be something worth pursuing, so HC is the perfect opportunity to blend her passion for writing and her love of UNC. She has grown up with Mickey Mouse just a car ride away, so there is no surprise that she is absolutely obsessed with all things Disney. Lily loves singing in the shower (and anywhere else really), hair bows, spontaneous adventures, sweets galore, and anything music-related.