Campus Celeb: Rachael Walker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb works behind the scenes on a lot of the articles you read weekly at Her Campus Chapel Hill, and she does it without much recognition. However, this week, you are going to read all about Rachael Walker, one of the two awesome ladies who coordinate our university’s chapter of Her Campus.

Name: Rachael Walker

Year: Senior

Hometown: Cornelius, North Carolina

Major: Public Relations

Minor: Hispanic Studies

Three-word description: Enthusiastic, spontaneous, outgoing

Q: What is your official title with HC Chapel Hill and what are the roles you take on for it?  

A. I am the “president and co-campus correspondent” of the Chapel Hill chapter of Her Campus.  My duties are all over the board.  My biggest one is overseeing everyone and making sure that things are running efficiently, people are making their deadlines, and acting as a liaison between our chapter and nationals.  But I also step in and write articles when staff misses their deadlines and organize events.

Q:  How did you get involved with HC and what is your favorite aspect about the organization?  

A: Towards the end of sophomore year, I decided that I wanted to be involved in more than just my sorority. And having just declared my public relations major at that point, I wanted something to help me advance my writing skills.  I checked out Her Campus Chapel Hill’s website after seeing a HC article on my Facebook newsfeed, and sent an email to the then-president.  The rest is history.  My favorite part of Her Campus is the people who I get to work with.  We have some amazing staff members who are so passionate about writing, and their enthusiasm and dedication inspires me!

Q:  What’s your dream job?  

A: If money weren’t a factor, I would be a travel blogger, backpacking across continents and blogging from sidewalk cafes and hostels.  My biggest passions are writing and traveling, so what better career than one that combines them both?

Q: What is your advice for fellow female Tar Heels who also have a passion for journalism?  

A: Journalism is a really tough field to get into.  My best advice is to get as many internships and jobs as possible to cultivate your journalism skills and make connections.  And if you’re trying for those jobs and just aren’t getting them, then write on the side while you’re working somewhere else and just keep trying to get your foot in the door.  If you really want a career in journalism, don’t give up on it.

Q: What’s your minor and why did you pick it?

A:  I am a Hispanic Studies minor and I love it.  I chose it because, ever since high school, I was dead set on becoming bilingual before I graduated college.  And it provided me with the opportunity to study abroad in Sevilla, Spain last spring, which was the most life-altering experience of my life.

Q:  What do you enjoy most about UNC?  

A: I love the small-town vibe, even though Chapel Hill really isn’t that small, and how beautiful the campus is.  Every time that I walk through the upper quad in the spring, it instantly brightens my day.

Q: Are there any other activities that you’re involved in that you really enjoy?  

A: I absolutely love my sorority, Zeta Tau Alpha.  I have made some of my best friends and have gotten really involved in the organization.  I am also a mentor for EASE (Easing Abroad Students Entry), an organization where students are partnered with a study abroad student for the semester or year.  It’s been a great way to meet new people!

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?  

A: That’s the question that I’ve been asked in every interview so far this year!  And honestly, I don’t know.  Even though it’s kind of naïve, I have a lot of faith that if you follow your instincts, you will end up in a location, job, etc. that makes you happy.  And all I do know is that I want to be happy, enjoy whatever career I end up in, and have friends and family who love and support me.

Q: Best UNC memory?  

A: Hands down when UNC beat Duke spring of my sophomore year!  The game was originally scheduled for eight days prior, but Duke cancelled because of snow.  It was a really hype game and UNC ended up winning by only 8 points (8 days, 8 points, 8 miles between the schools…you see the trend?).  After the final buzzer, everyone rushed Franklin St. and went absolutely wild.  I’ve never seen anything like it; people were climbing lampposts, setting couches on fire in the middle of the street and jumping over it, and crowd surfing.

Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.